What's new

King George Copper? Can Anyone I.D

JerV3

Gold Member
Joined
Feb 28, 2005
Messages
5,720
Reaction score
2,618
Golden Thread
1
Location
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Hey guys my son is now playing soccer to and had mandatory practice all week. So instead of sitting there all morning I knew of a old foundation site a few miles down the rd. I decided to take the deus down there and see what was left.

Ive hunted this place prob 20 times in the past. Hasn't given up a whole lot these past couple times I've been there. But today I got a solid 55 or 65 signal can't recall witch one but out popped this thin bigger than a quarter copper

Nothing really left on the back but the front looks like the bust of george. Not pictured are a few buckles one indianhead and a few what's its

In the past this site has produced large cents New Jersey copper and more. Coin also appears to have a letter G counter stamped on it

Thanks for viewing

HH Jer
 

Attachments

  • image.webp
    image.webp
    249.6 KB · Views: 127
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    116.7 KB · Views: 101
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    112.7 KB · Views: 111
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    176.8 KB · Views: 113
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    154.8 KB · Views: 113
Upvote 4
Jeremy, It looks like a King George III. Look at the back and see if there is a harp with a crown (Irish) or Brittania with her staff (British)
 
Ok thanks Steve I'll check tonight after work. The back is really smooth but I'll see if I can find any faint traces. What date range would you put it in. I don't find to many 1700s coins especially in allegheny co

HH Jer
 
Definitely not a King George II because the bust would be facing left and yours is facing right. It does look like a King George III half penny and appears to possibly have a counter stamp on it which is really cool. KGIIIs were minted between 1760 and 1820.

Nice find-congrats!
 
Could be George III 1806/1807.
 

Attachments

  • great_britain_penny_1806.webp
    great_britain_penny_1806.webp
    20.1 KB · Views: 101
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Yeah i.p that may be it. I'll check the back side over for any traces. I more and less just wanted to confirm it was a old copper.

Yes it does appear to have a letter G punched into it. Pretty cool found it a good ways away from the cellar leading down to a creek

HH Jer
 
Yeah I thought it may be earlier like a younge head etc. But I'm no expert on colonial coins. Too bad there's not much left to I.d it. I'll look it over with a jewlers loupe tonight

Thanks again guys
 
Congratulations on the copper. May not be pretty, but you got him, your mystery George.
 
My guess is a Geo. 1. If so, that's good and early.
 
I thought its a worn dump issue Geo I.



Could be.

OP check the top of the head. The George 06/07 differ than George I. (1717 and 1719)
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom