King George III copper and relics

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This weekend I searched a former home site that shows up on an 1850s map. I found this George III half penny, which I think is dated 1771. I suspect this might be a contemporary counterfeit, but I am not sure. The coin is in very rough shape, but I am still happy with it, as it is my first coin of that king. Also found five buttons, one of which still has some thread attached and one of which is pewter. Also dug my first iron shoe buckle as well as a two prong fork. Good luck out there and happy hunting.
IMG_5849.jpeg
IMG_5846.jpegIMG_5854.jpeg
IMG_5853.jpeg

Upvote 28
''I suspect this might be a contemporary counterfeit, but I am not sure.''
You are 100% correct, it is.

''I suspect this might be a contemporary counterfeit, but I am not sure.''
You are 100% correct, it is.
I knew you would know, and was hoping you would comment. Thanks for the feedback and confirmation … I appreciate it.

that 2 prong fork - very rare - try to conserve it :thumbsup:

I love those colonial period relics! Why do you think the KGIII is counterfeit?

that 2 prong fork - very rare - try to conserve it :thumbsup:
Thanks! I might try electrolysis or a white vinegar soak on the buckle and fork.

What a great hunt! How was the VDI on the coin? Was it lower than you might expect? Well done.
Thanks! The halfpenny gave off a very definite coin tone with a VDI of 22 on the Equinox. I was thinking maybe a half dime, a 2-cent piece, or a solid button. The coin was completely shot until I literally scraped the thin outer surface off. The coin was struck well enough that sufficient detail remained to make an ID. You never know what you are going to dig.

I love those colonial period relics! Why do you think the KGIII is counterfeit?
Thanks! I was thinking counterfeit purely based on gut feeling, as the portrait profile just seemed off to me (though admittedly there was not much left of it). Crusader, who is very knowledgeable of coins, confirmed my suspicion.

This weekend I searched a former home site that shows up on an 1850s map. I found this George III half penny, which I think is dated 1771. I suspect this might be a contemporary counterfeit, but I am not sure. The coin is in very rough shape, but I am still happy with it, as it is my first coin of that king. Also found five buttons, one of which still has some thread attached and one of which is pewter. Also dug my first iron shoe buckle as well as a two prong fork. Good luck out there and happy hunting. View attachment 2101888View attachment 2101889View attachment 2101890View attachment 2101891
Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back