Thinking outside of the box, maybe it is not a kitchen gadget. What I do not know.
I've already thought of that also.
maybe Shoe Maker Tool or Seamstress who works with Leather or ?
Also:
I Don't think the outside pieces are Child Proofing .
If they were, They would Not Curve out & Around.
They would also Need to be Closed for the Ring to Slide Down.
I don't think it is meant to be Stuck in a jar or anything with Liquid,
Because Having to Push the ring Down would Defeat the Purpose of Staying Dry.
along with the Mechanism & Persons hand would need to Fit in the Jar at the same time.
I Do think what ever it is Meant to Hold would Fit in the Oval,
and the ring pushed down After the Spike is in Place.
& IT must be there for awhile.
I Still think Fish lips would Fit in Perfectly, while scaling a fish.
But I never Fished.
or went frogging.