Other

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
From what I saw those were photos of only the portion with the markings, but I think seeing the whole item would help so that the style of knife could be determined and therefor help us determine what might be likely marks to be looking for. And confirming that the style matches that time period, etc. (could be an older knife used in the 2nd Seminole, or newer).
That being said, I think I see a portion that might say Michael.

Upvote 0

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
All I see is an extreme close up of a very rusty knife, no way to tell anything about it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

Guest 1551

Aug 4, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Other
From what I saw those were photos of only the portion with the markings, but I think seeing the whole item would help so that the style of knife could be determined and therefor help us determine what might be likely marks to be looking for. And confirming that the style matches that time period, etc. (could be an older knife used in the 2nd Seminole, or newer).
That being said, I think I see a portion that might say Michael.

Considering it was found right along with all the other musket balls etc. i say without a doubt that its seminole war. We were thinking maybe Michael too. Would a knife usually be personalized like that?

Upvote 0

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
Being used in the 2nd Seminole doesn't mean that's when it was made, as mentioned, it could have been an old knife that someone brought along. I was suggesting that the possible Michael was the maker, rather than owner, but really all I'm sure I can make out it the "CHA" in the middle of what appears to be a word of the right length to just possibly be Michael. And this was to help anyone who was more familiar with knife makers of the day, as I'm not that person.

Upvote 0

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
I was thinking "Richard ____beck(h)." Rather than a personalized knife, perhaps a Cutler's mark…

Could'ya show the whole knife, and another closeup of the mark, here, please?

9809103_4_l.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

Guest 1551

Aug 4, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Other
Here is a picture of the knife, unfortunately no more pics of the lettering exist because my dad wanted to put in electrolysis again (this was several months ago) and that took off the letters for good :( The knife is the top right object, with a sheath next to it and possible sword frag underneath.

Attachments

• 100_5272.JPG
    100_5272.JPG
    303.3 KB · Views: 86
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread