Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Would this be a knife?

I've had this one for 55yrs and either I forgot or never really noticed the curvature.
Kamloops
Docite Obsidian
35.35 mm long
18.25 mm wide
4 mm thick at the notch.
20240113_160814.jpg
20240113_160908.jpg
20240114_170144.jpg

Upvote 17
It’s a beautiful one. I will let someone else say what it is for sure from your area. What state was it found in?

it is either an early arrowhead, or a late atlatl point. Points in our area shrunk quickly after the introduction of the bow. Folk refer to the small ones as bird points but in truth, they were just deadly refined arrowheads.
I don't have many smaller ones.
We did refer to the 3 smaller ones as bird points as well.
20240114_205136.jpg

this dacite material is SO!!!!!! BC!!! awesome group of side notched points.
Just kind of wished I had gotten to the collection before other's pilfering it for resale.
I hope to find something from my own area NE of Kingston Ontario now.
The trade route says 10,000 yrs of going across my property.

Local historian has recently told me about the trail system that followed all the waterways.
So now we wait for spring.

It's an interesting point.

With the use wear on the tip and the look of non-wear on the blade edges, I would lean towards the atlatl dart point.

In my opinion, it's too large for an arrowhead point.

If it was used as a knife, and the use wear on the blade was removed by resharpening, I would expect to see sharper areas where the use wear and resharpening of the blade would meet.

Just an opinion from a photo. I could be wrong and swayed by other viewpoints.
2024-01-15_19-39-07.png

It's an interesting point.

With the use wear on the tip and the look of non-wear on the blade edges, I would lean towards the atlatl dart point.

In my opinion, it's too large for an arrowhead point.

If it was used as a knife, and the use wear on the blade was removed by resharpening, I would expect to see sharper areas where the use wear and resharpening of the blade would meet.

Just an opinion from a photo. I could be wrong and swayed by other viewpoints.
View attachment 2126313
Thank you
I never noticed that before until you pointed it out, and can sure see the wear now.

Great perspective on what it could be, and I certainly learnt something reading a bit about Atlati dart

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back