I'm never armed. So I always have to size up the situation you find your self in. Twice in my life I got out of a situation by putting my hand in my pocket as if I had a gun and ment to use it. Each time they backed down. I'm not saying this is something to do, only that those two particular times by reading the situation that is what I did. Another time waiting for a pay phone I had a knife put to my back as 4 guys surounded me. I said, "You got me. Money is in my front pocket. Just don't poke me with that thing." I wasn't scarred or angery. They took my money and walked away. I'm sure if I yelled, fought back or resisted I would have wound up on the side walk holding my guts. You can always replace what someone takes but your family can't replace you. Even if your armed, someone can get the drop on you. In NYC every now and then you read of an off duty armed cop getting mugged and losing his gun. Comes back to being aware of your surroundings and using good judgment. I have been in situation where I have been scared, but those are other stories. This stuff happened decades ago when crime was rampant in the city.