Knockout Game Concerns

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't know why I started think about this today but does anyone have detecting concerns about this new trend of the knockout game?

I do most of my hunting in urban areas. Although I have never had a problem I'm becoming a little concerned about this Knockout Game. I always try to stay aware of my surroundings but I do tend to get pretty focused if I'm pinpointing a good tone. This will not stop me from detecting urban sites but I was wondering if others have the same concerns and what extra precautions they maybe taking. Where I live you can't carry and I would not even if I could. Nothing against guns just not me. I also hunt alone because most of the time I'm not sure when or where I will find the time to hunt so it is very last minute.

Curious to hear your thoughts.
NJ

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
I don't know why I started think about this today but does anyone have detecting concerns about this new trend of the knockout game?

I do most of my hunting in urban areas. Although I have never had a problem I'm becoming a little concerned about this Knockout Game. I always try to stay aware of my surroundings but I do tend to get pretty focused if I'm pinpointing a good tone. This will not stop me from detecting urban sites but I was wondering if others have the same concerns and what extra precautions they maybe taking. Where I live you can't carry and I would not even if I could. Nothing against guns just not me. I also hunt alone because most of the time I'm not sure when or where I will find the time to hunt so it is very last minute.

Curious to hear your thoughts.
NJ
Carry the same means of protection you would carry in any "jungle"

Native Floridian

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2012
Ft Myers, Florida
Detector(s) used
Excal, Sov GT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I hunt on the beach. In one place, AC, is the only place I've ever had a problem with the locals. Nothing to do with the game of knockout other than the MO is the same. Person walks up to you asking a general question, and then acts up. I had one grab my scoop. These people are usually drunk or high. The police who patrol the beach don't bother with them. Too busy giving tourist tickets for bike riding on the board walk.

How do i know this? As a cop was writing me a $52 ticket for riding my bike on the boards after riding time had ended, i asked him what about the drunks on the beach hassling people? His answer: They have no money so it is a waste of time arresting them. Same for the pan handlers on the boards.

For protection the big aluminum scoop is an effective deterrent and if need be, weapon.

best advice - remain aware of your surroundings. Don't look like an easy mark.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sorry, what is the knockout game?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sorry, what is the knockout game?

Google knockout game Rginn.

If I am selected to play they will not like the outcome, I will play for keeps not funsies....

Someone sneaks up on you and tries to knock you out with single punch either in face or back of the head (sucker punch) while their friend video tapes it...

We will NOT go quietly into the night!

Last edited:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
if you have a detector you have a means to defend or repay..

MickeyMaguire

Apr 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro, Ace 300, Ace 250, PP-AT, PP II, F-Pulse
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The knock-out game is part of the "Grand Theft Auto" video game franchise. Kids are acting out the part of the game in real life. I used to manage a video game store for a very large corporation (multi-billion). There are countless cases of video games admittedly influencing kids to commit violent crimes, yet the industry is paying millions of dollars in damage control and buying off congress to not try and legislate away the problem. Of course, the government can't seem to do anything except waste money. So... the game continues and many people, including me, see the violence in games continue to influence kids.

By the way, I taught martial arts classes for years and I have a CHL, so, I am a firm believer in penalties for criminal behavior matching the severity of the crime.

Quote for the day: "When seconds count, the police are only minutes away."

MickeyMaguire

Apr 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro, Ace 300, Ace 250, PP-AT, PP II, F-Pulse
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One more thing.... keep your digger very sharp. It can be a very good weapon for self-protection.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't think that game is catching on here because so many Texans are armed, crazy or former veterans (like TH) who are missing the old days and are probably just surly as hell to begin with and now walk the streets asking poor innocent young gangsters, "Hey MF, want to play Knockout?), divorced old women whose husbands ran off with a sweet young thing and so they bought a S&W 500 to pay a few young folks back when they get close enough, or maybe just the typical old timer here who may take the abuse, climb into their truck and run over the perp. several times. Then of course, there are those old folks who have trained their pets(usually pit bulls) to attack. My favorite command is Kill, Attack, Destroy. Seems to work well or so I've heard...

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Open carry but be carful. It seems the game is being played in the northern states more than down south. I would welcome the chance to confront one of these thugs but its a shame the family has lost these young people.

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
I use a Tesoro so I can detect them coming up on me. :laughing7:

A little payback to the KO idiots. Like Marsellus says in Pulp Fiction, go to work on the homies here with a pair of pliers and a blow torch, I'm a getting medieval on your ass.

sliverofsilver

Apr 23, 2011
howell , nj
Detector(s) used
eyes, whites classic SL ,Bounty Hunter Tracker I-D/505 ,
Discovery 1100, eyes,hatchet,shovel,scoop,for now
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
its here in nj bigtime.
one guy that they tried to knock out ,pulled a gun and shot him,lol
they want to play,
i live in nj and i carry a 9" knife on my side as well as
a lockblade in my pocket as well as my digger, hatchet(used for extremely hard dirt)
not to mention my scoop.your car keys and a credit card are also weapons.
they aint gettin my machine,im in central nj
asbury park,howell area

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't think that game is catching on here because so many Texans are armed, crazy or former veterans (like TH) who are missing the old days and are probably just surly as hell to begin with and now walk the streets asking poor innocent young gangsters, "Hey MF, want to play Knockout?), divorced old women whose husbands ran off with a sweet young thing and so they bought a S&W 500 to pay a few young folks back when they get close enough, or maybe just the typical old timer here who may take the abuse, climb into their truck and run over the perp. several times. Then of course, there are those old folks who have trained their pets(usually pit bulls) to attack. My favorite command is Kill, Attack, Destroy. Seems to work well or so I've heard...

Austin, isn't living in Texas grand? Love it!

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
What you need N.J.THer is a good combat knife to carry in your boot,learn how to use it.

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the cowards useally have a hood over their heads so if ya see one comming take your saftey off.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Knockout Game is a horrible new fad being carried out by punks, thugs, and bullies. I don't think carrying a weapon on you is going to do much good if the cowards are sneaking up or blind siding you with a sucker punch. No time to defend yourself. I think I would want to kill a person that did that to one of my family members.
What the h-ll is this world coming to?
-MM-

Attachments

• Punk.jpg
    Punk.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 273
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
The whole thing is staying aware ModernMiner instead of like the zombies walking down the street playing with their phones or being in lala land with their music headphones on.The mountain men of yore had no problem staying aware,they knew if they didnt that they were dead men.To many people now a days are stuck with the notion that it could never happen to them.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The whole thing is staying aware ModernMiner instead of like the zombies walking down the street playing with their phones or being in lala land with their music headphones on.The mountain men of yore had no problem staying aware,they knew if they didnt that they were dead men.To many people now a days are stuck with the notion that it could never happen to them.

I agree we spend too much time on our cell phones, but I don't think everyone needs to go around being paranoid waiting to get punched either. Do you think the lady that got cold cocked from behind in the video stood a chance? How about the 78 year old lady? Sure we can watch people heading towards us, but while you are busy doing that you get hit from behind. Let's face it, we are not mountain men of yore, nor do we have eyes in the back of our heads.
How many of us go out detecting with headphones on and are zoned in at the ground as you swing. You would NOT see it coming!
Everyone has an opinion on what they would do to protect or defend themselves or how tough they would be, but we are talking about a split second. That's reality. Maybe we could all go around wearing football helmets? :BangHead:
-MM-

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Staying aware of your soundings isnt being paranoid.The whole point of staying aware is knowing everything thats going on around you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread