What's new

Knowledge on old looking button

jml818

Full Member
Joined
Sep 26, 2016
Messages
118
Reaction score
459
Golden Thread
0
Location
Philadelphia, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this button is very worn and hardly decipherable but it sure looks old. I don't know too much about how to place a date range on it.
Looks like possibly a colonial guy on a horse and the shank on back is not typical.
Anyone give me some info?
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0630.webp
    IMG_0630.webp
    164.3 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_0629.webp
    IMG_0629.webp
    297.6 KB · Views: 82
I don't think this is a button, it's more likely saddle tack decoration.
The 'bent portion' on the back would've been pushed through the leather then bent over to hold it.

It looks very early, probably early 19thc.
Dave
 
Upvote 0
My first thought was that it went in the end of an old horse whip. However, as the fixing has been bent over to attached it to leather, it's probably related to some kind of horse gear, as per Dave's suggestion.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom