Lake Erie, Johnson Island Find

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
From time to time an artifact is discovered at Johnson's Island that they can't identify.
The first artifact (FS 4097) is something that has been discovered several times at Johnson's Island. It is made of copper, quite thin, and has been discovered in a couple of different sizes. It has a bit of a spring to it as well.

Any ideas?

By the end of the Civil War, more than 400,000 soldiers had become prisoners of war. The camp at Johnson's Island in western Lake Erie was the only Union prison designed expressly for enemy officers. Of the 9,000-plus men held there, some 300 never made it out alive. Men were shot at with little provocation. Those caught trying to escape were shackled and fed only bread and water. The stench from overflowing privies fouled the air, and the rats overrunning the compound became a dietary supplement.

Johnson's Island prisoners were among the educated Southern elite, and they left hundreds of personal accounts of their experiences. The volume of letters, diaries, maps, and drawings is unrivaled by that of any other Civil War prison, North or South. These sources and recent archaeological work tell us how prisoners passed long hours, how they attempted escape, and how they were rewarded for cooperating with their captors.

David R. Bush is an associate professor of anthropology at the Center for Historic and Military Archaeology of Heidelberg College in Tiffin, Ohio. He welcomes copies of any family records relating to former prisoners or guards on Johnson's Island. He would like to thank Carl Zipfel, the current owner of the property under excavation.

Attachments

• mystery1.jpg
    mystery1.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 852
S

stefen

A similar spring device is used in picture framing. It's sometime used to hold the backing material against the glass front when wedged in the frame.

Upvote 0
T

TreasureTales

Not very big, is it? Isn't 5 cm close in size to 2 inches?

Maybe the arch support for a boot? Did they even have arch supports in boots back then? I dunno.

Upvote 0

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Hey gypsy... what is this little nubby thing I circled... is there better detail? Or... is this photo from someplace else?

Your whatsit is bugging me because it seems so familiar!

Attachments

• nubby thing.JPG
    nubby thing.JPG
    15 KB · Views: 650
Upvote 0

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
decorative inlay for rifle or something else of the sort

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Montana Jim said:
Hey gypsy... what is this little nubby thing I circled... is there better detail? Or... is this photo from someplace else?

Your whatsit is bugging me because it seems so familiar!
I dont know what it is . Its from a website that I go to all the time and no one there can figure it out either. Thought I would bring it here and see what it could be .

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Could it be an epaulette or shoulder board stiffener? If the camp was for officers, one thing a CW officer's uniform would have are epaulettes.

It's about the right size. The little nubby thing could be used to attach it to the uniform. I did a little looking and found that some epaulettes DO (still do) have stiffeners inside, but I could not find a picture.

DCMatt

Upvote 0

silverswede

Dec 12, 2005
Pinehurst. Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab SOVEREIGN XS-2a PRO
Can't exactly place it either, but from the appearance, and if the metal is spring steel and the center nubbin could fasten it to a flat sheet of something. (big if's) It could be a clip to hold paper to something like an an old clip board. Thats about as close as I can come without saying I haven't the foggiest.

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A little more info to support my thoughts:

From Answers.com - definition of an epaulette -

the epaulette, its color and the length and diameter of its bullion fringe are used to siginify the wearer's rank. Between the fringe and the shoulderpiece is often a metal piece in the form of a crescent.

polisharty5.jpg

DCMatt

Upvote 0

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
That's a great history lesson about the island. As far as the piece in question, I have no thoughts but do like the shoulder board idea.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread