Attachments

• knife01.JPG
    knife01.JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 561

trk5capt

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2005
Charleston S.C.
CORE, Are You Sure That It Is Not A Bone Handle ? Pocket Knives Have Been Around For Quite A While, I Have Found Them Here At CW Sites. trk5capt...

Attachments

• RIM00024.jpg
    RIM00024.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 636
  • knife.jpg
    knife.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 684
  • RIM00024.jpg
    RIM00024.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 676
  • knife.jpg
    knife.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 588
Upvote 0
OP
OP
core028

core028

Dec 7, 2005
North West Tennessee
Hey trk5capt. I'm pretty sure its wood. The handle was in one piece until it dried for a couple of weeks and then started spliting and curling up. It also has some woodgrain visiable up close. I could be wrong but I have several bone handled knives and it doesent look like bone. Thanks for the reply and your help.
Core

Upvote 0
T

TreasureTales

First off, I like your avatar. Those Willys Wagons are way cool.

OK, about your knife...does it have an insignia or shield or any kind of logo on the flip side? Without a little more information to work with, it may be hard to ID. Just like today's pocket knives, there were similar shapes and sizes made by various manufacturers in the old days. It looks too rusty and cruddy to open up, so we'll have to base our guesses on what the other side looks like, and the number of brads holding the handle in place. Also, sometimes the backside or the all metal side (opposite the side where the blade would open) gives clues.

I like digging up old pocket knives. You know some real guy was there doing something. And you gotta know he was ticked off when he realized he had misplaced his knife!!!!

Upvote 0

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
TreasureTales said:
I like digging up old pocket knives. You know some real guy was there doing something. And you gotta know he was ticked off when he realized he had misplaced his knife!!!!

Unless he was decomposing under it before it was found...

Upvote 0
T

TreasureTales

MiddenMonster said:
TreasureTales said:

Unless he was decomposing under it before it was found...

:D ;) ;)

Well, yeah. Then the only thing going through his mind was a maggot.

Upvote 0

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
I think TreasureTales is right... unless you find a logo or some other identification mark your going to struggle to figure out who made it, or when it was made.

Here is a link to the National Knife Collectors Association, Inc. : http://www.nkcaknife.org/ maybe they can help?

Or, here is another link devoted to Keen Kutter knives... it's very informative and might be helpfull... at least with idenifying where logos or manufacturers information could be on the knife itself... : http://www.thckk.org/pocket-knife-page.html

Upvote 0

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
I guess Bladless knives are hard to Id and age (But fun to find) my best find is this old Keen Kutter likley his first but I cant find a thing about it. I'm still searching I know its between 1905 and 1868 but thats all

Attachments

• k knife 2.JPG
    k knife 2.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 471
  • k Knife.JPG
    k Knife.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 493
  • k knife 2.JPG
    k knife 2.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 453
  • k Knife.JPG
    k Knife.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 438
Upvote 0

Dodad

Dec 8, 2006
Gore, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT and Whites Prizm IV
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looks like an old wood handle Barlow knife. Maybe an old lineman knife The shape of the top of the blade is what makes me think Barlow. Although I have never seen one with bolsters on both ends. Hard to tell especially since most knife makers in the past would copy each others patterns for mass produced pocket type knives.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread