LAKE GEORGE TOKEN?

BRAD244

Jun 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dug up this Lake George token while detecting the family farmland in Northern Massachusetts back in 2012. The front of the token has an indian in the center with what I believe to be Latin writing around it. There also appears to be an arm holding a sword. The back side of the token says Lake George in the center with Dedication of Monument September 1903 around the top & bottom. When I found this token, I emailed pics to the Lake George Historical Society but never got a response. From my own research at the time, I discovered that the monument was unveiled back in 1903 to a crowd of dignitaries. I could find no pictures or references to a token however. Any information or insight would be much appreciated. Thanks, Brad
LAKE GEORGE COIN 1.jpg LAKE GEORGE COIN 2.jpg LAKE GEORGE COIN 3.jpg

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
Last edited:
Upvote 0

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
Indeed that whole side, with the motto and Indian is an old variation of the Great Seal of Massachusetts. Odd, since Lake George is in NY, but it must have been relevant to this monument somehow?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
As this postcard shows, the attendance wasn't small at the event. Battle Monument Unveiling 1903 Lake George, NY
perhaps the incorrect state seal was an accident by the medal maker? The only relevance to the monument seems to be that the monument portrays a Native American, but he's hanging out with a British dude in the statue that was unveiled.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

BRAD244

Jun 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well it looks like I posted on the right sight. Thanks for the info. Boy, they had quite a turnout based on that postcard. I believe I saw something in my research stating that Teddy Roosevelt was a VIP in attendance.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread