Lake Ouachita islands

globalgrl

Greenie
Aug 19, 2010
hot springs village, ar
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 250
I'm a newbie so forgive if I ask dumb questions!

I grew up near the OK/AR border although I haven't been back to this area for 30 years. I am very familiar with the Rich Mountain area and plan to go to lots of places near there if I can still remember how to find them!

I live near Hot Springs now and I spend most weekends on Lake Oauchita boating and camping on the islands. Can I metal detect there? Would it even be worth it?

Thanks,
globalgrl

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never been to Lake Ouachita nor am I at all familiar with it. I do know however, that if the islands are considered INSIDE a state park, then its illegal to metal detect. If its considered Corps of Engineers ground (like surrounding Lake Norfork), then I am fairly sure (but not certain), that it would be legal to detect.

As far as finds go, well you never know. If people camp there, then there is definitely something to find. If people camped there when coins were still made of silver, then you have a good chance to find some silver coins. If people swim there, you can bet there is lost jewelry. Who knows who might have wondered through there 100-200+ years ago and what they might have lost. As always, there is only one way to find out!

Keep us posted. I love this forum and reading about finds, but I REALLY like reading about finds here in good ol' Arkansas. I'd really like to see the "Arkansas" forum a lot more active!

OP
OP
globalgrl

globalgrl

Greenie
Aug 19, 2010
hot springs village, ar
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 250
ArkieBassMan said:
I have never been to Lake Ouachita nor am I at all familiar with it. I do know however, that if the islands are considered INSIDE a state park, then its illegal to metal detect. If its considered Corps of Engineers ground (like surrounding Lake Norfork), then I am fairly sure (but not certain), that it would be legal to detect.

As far as finds go, well you never know. If people camp there, then there is definitely something to find. If people camped there when coins were still made of silver, then you have a good chance to find some silver coins. If people swim there, you can bet there is lost jewelry. Who knows who might have wondered through there 100-200+ years ago and what they might have lost. As always, there is only one way to find out!

Keep us posted. I love this forum and reading about finds, but I REALLY like reading about finds here in good ol' Arkansas. I'd really like to see the "Arkansas" forum a lot more active!

Thanks BassMan, I kept on reading and it looks like I can get a permit. Going to check it out this week. We do see the Corp out there all the time.
I do not know where Brookland is in AR but it is a small state so you better get down here if you like fishing cause this lake has 200 islands, 40,000 acres!! No houses on it, it is incredible! :)

I will keep you posted, thanks again!
globalgrl Kelli

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread