OP
OP
frankendime

frankendime

Mar 8, 2012
Middle Tn
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been doing a little research on lamination errors and there are pics out there. One of them is a quarter with what looked like a racing stripe from rim to rim and looked smooth underneath. Seen some other lamination errors that just looked like paint pulling lose from the side of the house with cracks and bubbles. What I've read: When the metal stock is produced sometimes, due to certain circumstances..say some foreign material is introduced, bonding of material is compromised, therefore causing bubbling under outer layers or within the stock. There are instances I've read which claim that a coin has been struck and actually splits, making 2 coins, 1 with obverse and 1 with reverse with the opposite side just being a rough surface with no impression. What I know: I worked many years as a machine operator/ setup man in a high speed production facility called Victor Cuttting Torches, perhaps you have used the best. 6 spindle lathes called screw machines. Form, drill, thread a part in about 3 seconds in some instances. All made out of 12 foot bars of brass. These bars of brass sometimes had all sorts of damage from bubbles to big splinters to big ugly gouges and we rejected them when we see them. But... they did not always get caught. So....as they say Stuff happens and the U.S. Mint is no different. Running at the high speeds that they do I am surprised that more errors do not escape than they do. All that being said, It appears as best as I can tell you have a highly visible error coin which error coin collectors love, that is an error that can be seen from across the room. Frankly, I've seen nothing like what I have and am cautiously optimistic as to the value. Dig your coin and HHH! Happy Huntin Hoss!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread