Large amount of bottles in one location.

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
North of the Mason Dixon line
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A couple of years ago I located a large bottle dump .I did some serious digging for over a year .Life got in the way and my digging stopped Here are some of the items I found during my time of bottle digging in a spot that was a dream co
IMG_18531010zer34.jpg
me true for me

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Great examples. It appears like they were either drinking or taking medicine most of the time. 🍺⚕️

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pluto Waters, Warranted Flasks, looks like a 1900-1920 time frame. 👍

robertk

Bronze Member
May 16, 2023
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s a dream hole alright! Nice digs!

OP
OP
G

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I first posted about finding or I should say re-finding this location on t=net on 10/18/19 under" Finally I think I found it " And I posted about my adventures of digging there over the next 15 to 18 months . I did a major amount of dirt moving in the summer of20/20. It was a very hot /dry summer and the conditions where hot and hotter Digging in the hot sun where not ideal for a old man. But I would dig for and hour or two and come back in a day or so Nearly every time I went out I would find something I had not found before It was an exciting time When I stopped I had not even begun to find but a small percentage of what was there . I was seriously considering renting a skid loader or a trac hoe in to move dirt and dump it on plies the than shifting through the piles with a shovel and a couple of people to help speed up the process a bit I did not always find a large number of items but I rarely came home empty handed And I was consistently finding bottles that I did not have Yes I was getting a number of duplicates Some times I I let those duplicates lay Before this site I would usually keep chipped or bottles with cracks Now MY l was finding enough good items I could be more choosy Getting the chance to dig here was one of the high points f my life I have ben organizing my collection from over 50 years of hunting bottles. I hope to get a few more pictures of my collection of bottle that I was so blessed and had the good forture to dig for a short time
1850FINAL FOUND.JPG
1850FINAL FOUND.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
During that time period alcohol and medication where more or less the same thing .I did a considerable amount of research f my family history And what I learned is many of the may have come to America in hopes of having freedom of religion But in many cases he people looking for that fredo where not always very good at practicing that religion. When you begin to notice a pater that many of the bottles you re finding are beer bottle /whiskey and other types of alcohol . And in many cases the medicine was some form of alcohol also it would be a natural conclusion that drinking was a normal part of many days . And yes I was locating a lot of items that where from the 1900's to the 1920. However I did have one surprise that is a bit older . More on that item in a later post hopefully Or check in on the Finally I Think I found it .posting I did from 10 2019 until late summer of 2020

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There have been 2 dozen or more in 3 or 4 different variation On the bottom it is embossed P J Ritter Phil PA This may have been te for runner of Heinz

Attachments

• PICT0505ritterrez.jpg
    PICT0505ritterrez.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
OP
OP
G

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That brown jug is only the second intact ceramic container I ever dug And the first one came from the same dump . (more on it later perhaps) The one pictured is in very good condition as far as it's appearance. However it appears to have a hairline crack on the front of it . If that is the case it is a very minor one In trying. to find some back round on it I was told it was made by a local pottery and might be worth $40 to $ 60 Right now it would take a good bit more for me to sell it for that amount When I first realized I was digging something this big and ceramic I noticed almost right away that it was ceramic and it was a fairly large item . It was surrounded by wire metal straps from old wooden barrels .It was encased in in a nest of metal I need to use a metal cutter to get it loose And even after I had removed most of the wire it was still tight in it 's home .When I finally had it free and saw that it was intact and in mostly good condition I could not believe my eyes nor even more my good fortune to actually have it in my hands I set it down in a safe place backed up my tools and headed home I wanted someone else to see it so I was sure it was for real. It is one o many one of a kind items that I from my best spot ever
This is a six pack of bottles that came from that spot They are all embossed with Hanover Bottling Works and again several variations from the same company . Also on a second picture are a hand full of warranted flask that I recovered from this dump . And I have more yet to show .Prior to finding these flasks I had only located one warranted flask

Attachments

• warflask.1872.jpg
    warflask.1872.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1877 - Copyhanovrt bottle resize.jpg
    IMG_1877 - Copyhanovrt bottle resize.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 8

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread