Large and small

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
(1) Besides the hundreds of coins (which all of us find), while stationed at Eielson AFB, AK, I was detecting downtown along a row of parking meters that ran along the top of the south bank of the Chena River, from Cushman Street westward along 1st Ave. when I "eyeballed" a bicycle down in the water. I climbed down, got the bike, and pulled it back up to my car. It was an expensive 12 speed. I later called the Fairbanks police to ask if anyone had reported it stolen. Well, it was; the folks drove out to Eielson and picked it up. What really pissed me off was they didn't even say "thank you".

(2) While stationed at Barksdale AFB, LA, I found the frame of a T-model Ford on a dirt road on the backside of the base property. If you know anything about the prices paid for original pieces of collector cars, you'll understand why that find was "treasure".

That's all for now. I'll think of somemore later. ;D

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island
How did the Model-T find workout?

And I don't see how people can't say thank you... where present when they took the bike or did you leave it out for them to take. How can they be near you and not say thanks... what would they say? Nothing... "Hey... you got my bike" ... "Yea it's right here". And then they leave without saying anything else? Weird...

~Dave

theloadroom

Oct 17, 2006
SW Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Sunray X-1 probe
The wealthier the people the less courtious they behave, sorry man. :-\

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Shortstack said:
(1) Besides the hundreds of coins (which all of us find), while stationed at Eielson AFB, AK, I was detecting downtown along a row of parking meters that ran along the top of the south bank of the Chena River, from Cushman Street westward along 1st Ave. when I "eyeballed" a bicycle down in the water. I climbed down, got the bike, and pulled it back up to my car. It was an expensive 12 speed. I later called the Fairbanks police to ask if anyone had reported it stolen. Well, it was; the folks drove out to Eielson and picked it up. What really pissed me off was they didn't even say "thank you".

(2) While stationed at Barksdale AFB, LA, I found the frame of a T-model Ford on a dirt road on the backside of the base property. If you know anything about the prices paid for original pieces of collector cars, you'll understand why that find was "treasure".

You know, I hate to come to the defense of rude people, but perhaps they thought you were the one who stole the bike? Maybe returning it because of a guilty conscience?

pygmy

Jul 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
hound dog
Where I come from a thank you is not expected but a reward is demanded and
in fact negotiated.
Or to put in another way " here buddy, $50 bucks for your trouble " would have been a nice thank you.
And I don't get a "guilty conscience"

gilmerman

Dec 31, 2006
Central South East
I guess you'd class this one small, I found a 2006 dime, yesterday in the parking lot of Mercers' Apple House. I haven't yet decided what to do with it. Please, no telling me where to stick it.

OP
OP
Shortstack

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
af1733 said:
Shortstack said:

You know, I hate to come to the defense of rude people, but perhaps they thought you were the one who stole the bike? Maybe returning it because of a guilty conscience?

They may have had that idea, but it didn't cross my mind at the time that they may have thought that. In all honesty, I was very happy to make the find and was planning on using it to ride back and forth to work. ( My wife and I lived in on-base quarters) By the time I'd driven back to the base, I'd realized that somebody paid a lot of money for that bike and I needed to at least check with the police about it. I wouldn't have felt "right" about keeping it if I could have found the owner. So I called the Fairbanks Police and they had the theft report on top of the pile; so to speak. It had been stolen within the last 48 hours. I think that the young couple got po'd because they had to; drive out to the base ( 21 miles away ) to get it. After the attitude they showed, I told my wife that if I ever found another such thing, I'd keep it. (but of course I wouldn't have; my parents raised me better than that).

lou423

Dec 14, 2005
S.W. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro. Minelab. Fisher.
About two years ago I found a gold trinket in the hallway at the place I work, I turned it in for safekeeping...
The next day I asked if anyone had claimed...Well, the trinket was gone and nobody knew anything about it.
These things happen...

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Shortstack said:
af1733 said:
Shortstack said:

They may have had that idea, but it didn't cross my mind at the time that they may have thought that. In all honesty, I was very happy to make the find and was planning on using it to ride back and forth to work. ( My wife and I lived in on-base quarters) By the time I'd driven back to the base, I'd realized that somebody paid a lot of money for that bike and I needed to at least check with the police about it. I wouldn't have felt "right" about keeping it if I could have found the owner. So I called the Fairbanks Police and they had the theft report on top of the pile; so to speak. It had been stolen within the last 48 hours. I think that the young couple got po'd because they had to; drive out to the base ( 21 miles away ) to get it. After the attitude they showed, I told my wife that if I ever found another such thing, I'd keep it. (but of course I wouldn't have; my parents raised me better than that).

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You've got the right attitude :thumbsup:about trying to find the owners of the larger things.....hard to find owners of loose change. ::)
But, IF YOU EVER GOT A CALL FROM THAT COUPLE, and they said that they were lost, and needed help.....I'd LEAVE THEM LOST. ;D
You did the right thing, and they didn't. It will come back to you, for good, and to them, for their reward.

E59

Feb 28, 2005
On the river bank
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is so not cool on their part. That was really nice of you to return it, don't let mean people bring you down to their level. Rise above! :icon_sunny:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread