What's new

🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Large bone

Tesorodeoro

Silver Member
Joined
Jan 21, 2018
Messages
2,958
Reaction score
5,155
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bear hunter’s dogs packed this back in far Northern California/Southern Oregon vicinity. It’s heavy and has an obvious socket or joint on one end. Guesses have been a whale bone, large oxen, Woolley mammoth..what do you think?! Doesn’t seem petrified.
 

Attachments

  • C40DDF39-A2FA-44E0-A8A5-B5D5950BD3FF.webp
    C40DDF39-A2FA-44E0-A8A5-B5D5950BD3FF.webp
    913.5 KB · Views: 172
I’d be super curious as to what kind of animal this came from. I’ve looked at the elephant and Wooley mammoth skeletons and do not see such short bones. It doesn’t seem fossilized to me. Rather it seems like just old bone. The amount of sponge bone might be another clue. Any information would be appreciated.
 
Upvote 0
I think it looks a lot like one of the fin bones of a whale. Attached is a gray whale fin. Depending on the type of whale it resembles either the humerus, radius or ulna. Size-wise it would be one of the larger whales. It's too big for dolphin or orca. I think it might be the humerus, radius or ulna of a gray whale.
 

Attachments

  • fw7idblmba0a1.webp
    fw7idblmba0a1.webp
    12.2 KB · Views: 58
Upvote 1
Pelvis bone, not fossilized, right, Bison, or other very large modern hoofed animal I suspect.
I can see what you’re getting at. It would be a thick pelvis bone. Likely a large oxen is my guess.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom