Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I dug this at an old homstead site that didn't seem to have anything more recent than maybe the 1870s (it also turned up a Civil War belt buckle PLUS a box plate! Unfortunately, it was my buddy that found those)

It is 1" in diameter, appears to be aged bronze. Not much more to say other than to post the photos.

fjTagBf[1].jpg
5vbcPpG[1].jpg
xsHB5Pi[1].jpg

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I dug this at an old homstead site that didn't seem to have anything more recent than maybe the 1870s (it also turned up a Civil War belt buckle PLUS a box plate! Unfortunately, it was my buddy that found those)

It is 1" in diameter, appears to be aged bronze. Not much more to say other than to post the photos.

View attachment 2115565 View attachment 2115566 View attachment 2115567
I would say it was a seal that you found.
Either way it's a beautiful recovery.
Congrats 👏

OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would say it was a seal that you found.
Either way it's a beautiful recovery.
Congrats 👏
You are the 3rd person to suggest that. I guess its time for me to take it to heart. But I was/am skeptical because it seems it would take a lot more wax than usual to fill that large cup enough to reach the engraved lion. Also, that the thing on the back looks like a button loop. How would that have been used for a wax stamp?

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You are the 3rd person to suggest that. I guess its time for me to take it to heart. But I was/am skeptical because it seems it would take a lot more wax than usual to fill that large cup enough to reach the engraved lion. Also, that the thing on the back looks like a button loop. How would that have been used for a wax stamp?
It could of had a wooden handle that rotted away. The hole was for a pin to secure it.
Or it was a small suspension loop.
Just throwing out thoughts here.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really interesting. I'm thinking it's pre-civil war, but that's just a thought. I can't say if it is a button up or had some other purpose.

OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have learned that the image on the button is Norwegian. It is a crowned lion carrying St Olaf's axe.

scrap.jpg

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool, whatever it is. Congratulations.

OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Really interesting. I'm thinking it's pre-civil war, but that's just a thought. I can't say if it is a button up or had some other purpose.
I can't imagine what else that shank could have been used for.

Several people have suggested that it may have been a wax seal stamp but I disagree. One reason is because of that shank... every seal stamp I've seen except for a few one piece ones have a threaded shaft to screw into a wooden handle. For another reason, every one I see online is essentially flat except for the design itself. And thirdly, I actually tried it with some sealing wax I had on hand... and it is impossible to lay enough wax down for it to ever actually reach the design portion. The wax simply spreads out instead of building up.

Fredneck

May 7, 2005
Detector(s) used
GPX 5000, ORX, White's XLT, AT Gold for Fresh Water
So crude, that button must be damn near ancient. I like it !!

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is a fascinating quandary. At first glance, I’m like oh yeah that’s a wax seal. But your 3 points are compelling enough to say oh no it’s not. But I’m not feeling it when it comes to being a button. It just doesn’t “look” like a button. Maybe it’s something else…. Perhaps a good effort of a forgery. A wax seal was needed to confirm commerce or a banking note, but how to get one? Make one! Repurpose a button, and voila! I don’t know Iron Buzz, I’ll follow this, I too would like to see this ID’d for you.
Best
BWD

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread