Large cache of buried gold in northern Morocco, advice needed

Aug 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some back story:
So I am good friends with this guy whose grandfather was well known to be the largest gold merchant in all of Morocco. Story has it that upon hearing of the impending French invasion of Morocco (early 1900's), his grandfather went out into his estate and buried his entire store of gold. Now fast forwarding a few decades, this man was on his death bed. None of his children or relatives had it in their hearts to ask where he hid the fortune. The location of the cache died with him. Nowadays his estate is still inhabited by his family. These people come from rural backgrounds and have never even heard of a medal detector. I have permission from my friend to search the grounds of his property. The total size of the property is over 100 hectares, but the supposed location is set to be estimated at about one square hectare. I have no idea how deep it could be buried, but I'm guessing it would be somewhat deep give the fact I am told slaves were used to lower the chests. The ground is normal agricultural land, I have no idea about the mineral levels. I have never used a metal detector and have no idea where to start. My question is what metal detector would be best suited for this task? Thanks in advance.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
One that would fit on the back of a camel. Seriously, how deep is deep? I better let the real TH'ers answer this, but I'm not sure such an animal exists(md not camel).

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could ask the slaves, but then they are probably lying on top of the chests. If he buried all the gold and never recovered it, how did he live for a few decades after that, without any money or any of the gold?

OP
OP
X
Aug 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont know the specifics, this is just what I am told. I am just seeking advice, I do not support the use of slaves.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
We're just messing with you. The problem you will have is depth. You didn't say how deep, but there is a limit to what most detectors will recognize or react to. But, if there is a sizable deposit, you may be in luck. Hopefully somebody will respond with the name and model number of what you need. As for slaves, don't sweat the small stuff. The guy was teasing you. Good luck on your search.

shankster

Tenderfoot
Jun 29, 2009
plain city ,utah
Detector(s) used
whites XLT Spectrum / ace 350
great story or lead to a possible find . I would look for imperfections on the land as sometimes the ground settles or humps where something may have been buried .Try to imagine where you would hide it if you lived there . even if they lowered a 3ft by 3 ft box of gold below the grond 1 ft they would of dug 4 ft deep hole and it would of still needed help to lower a heavy box that deep as it would of been very heavy if full . You may get lucky with a newer detector that goes over a ft deep . Sounds like there would be relics neverless . Good luck . john

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Have you heard of the Shifting Sands of Morocco? Is it possible your friend's grandfather landed at Tripoli in the war
and sustained head injuries rending him senseless?

OP
OP
X
Aug 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
None of these replies have been very helpful so far, I thought you guys might offer me some solid advice...
Let me make a few things clear:
1. This is a solid lead, This guys family was and still is well known in Morocco for being involved in the gold trade.
2. He confided to me this lead after years of knowing me, he has no reason to lie to me.
3. I do not currently know the whereabouts of his family's land as I have never been there yet.

I am going to estimate the depth to a maximum of 8 meters, so does anyone know of a specific detector that will get the job done and is also easy to use? Thanks!

nearihunter

Aug 5, 2012
western mass
Detector(s) used
ace 150, ace350, bounty hunter, ace 250, Minelab safari, (primary)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i don't know of a detector capable of 8 meters. i would as said before, try ground radar.

K

Kentucky Kache

Have you heard of a two box metal detector? They are made to detect larger objects, and go deeper than a regular detector. The one pictured in my avatar is a fisher Gemini 3.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
KK He's talking over 25 feet down. Course he could use American measurements, his English is plain enough. But using meters
and hectares makes me wonder. Is he talking the African Morocco or some other place with that name. I don't follow Mid-Eastern
politics regularly but isn't the country of Morocco another powderkeg waiting to blow?

K

Kentucky Kache

KK He's talking over 25 feet down. Course he could use American measurements, his English is plain enough. But using meters
and hectares makes me wonder. Is he talking the African Morocco or some other place with that name. I don't follow Mid-Eastern
politics regularly but isn't the country of Morocco another powderkeg waiting to blow?

Yes, but nobody buries caches that deep. A cache of size should be detectable with a two box detector.

OP
OP
X
Aug 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, I think I will purchase a fisher Gemini 3, should I just go retail and get it from kellyco? any good deals floating around for 2 box detectors?

maazagan

Aug 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Xmarks,

Maybe i could help you, i am moroccan living in The Netherlands and i already have a good groundradar in Morocco. As you know this equipment is illegal in Morocco, so do not try to fly in with such a thing in your luggage!!! And digging is also illegal( evrything below 30 cm is state-owned). So work needs to be done at night and out of sight of people.

Best Regards,

Maazagan

GaBnn3

Dec 10, 2004
You should look at White's TM808. I plan on buying one in the near future myself. I can't yet give you any first hand experiences yet.

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a two-box detector by all means and do a bunch of research on why, where and how people buried caches. paying particular attention to what people used as markers to locate and retrieve the cache at a later date and how this could apply to your specific situation...a good walk over the area may provide clues, landmarks,depressions, etc..and take pictures morning and evening when sun is at different angles, sometimes the camera catches what the eye misses..there is much info available on the net, way too much to put into one answer, on how to locate hidden/buried caches..good luck

Canuck

Aug 2, 2012
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Fisher gold bug pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey xmarksthebottlecap. A two box detector is the way to go. The fisher Gemini 3 will hit 20ft. I have one listed for sale in the classifieds if your interested. It's listed at $500 but I would take $450 for it. It's in amazing shape. Let me know if you want more info.

High-Teck Redneck

Tenderfoot
Apr 13, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would start with Google maps. Start with your gut instincts and go from there. Get a good lay of the land where you think it is. Make a pattern..and stick to it. I would start near the house regardless. Most people that bury treasure back in the day often wanted to see it from a window or be able to see it from time to time to make sure no one was messing with their bank. Just some thoughts. Also...be careful. The laws are very specific...you do not want to spend time in that jail...or any other for that matter...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread