What's new

Large dollar coins

BeerBelly

Full Member
Joined
May 6, 2008
Messages
109
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
Nevada
What should I be looking for in the large dollar coins?
I always thought they made silvers for circulation, but I guess not? Anything special to be looking for with the Ikes? Are any of the older dollar coins the same size as the Ikes?
Thanks!
 
Upvote 0
from wikipedia

From 1971 to 1978, the U.S. Mint issued dollar coins with the obverse depicting Dwight D. Eisenhower [12] and the reverse the insignia of the Apollo 11 moon landing, both designed by Chief Engraver Frank Gasparro. The 1976 Bicentennial commemorative design, produced in 1975 and 1976, featured the Liberty Bell and the Moon on the reverse (designed by Dennis R. Williams), while retaining the Eisenhower obverse. The Eisenhower dollars minted for general circulation contained no silver or gold, but were instead composed of the same copper-nickel clad composition used for the dime, quarter, and half dollar. This made the circulation coins extremely resistant to wear and, like the smaller denominations, they still retain a good deal of shine even when subject to mass usage. From 1971 through 1976 the Mint also produced dollars composed of 40% silver aimed at the collector market.

The coins were never very popular, primarily due to their large size and weight which made them inconvenient to carry and the fact that very few vending machines were designed to accept them. They saw the greatest use in casinos, and one-dollar tokens in United States casinos still approximate the size and weight of the coins. Prior to the withdrawal of the coins, which remain legal tender (and are often still available at banks, by request), many casinos did not strike their own tokens, but instead used the Eisenhower dollar.


I had understood that all of the silver Ike dollars were "S" mintmarked. Jim
 
Thanks fellas,
I did a little bit of googling, and it looks like there were no dollar coins minted for circulation between 1936 and 1970?
Silver fox, are you saying the old dollars like the peace, morgan gold etc. dollars were the same size as the Ike dollars? So then it may be possible, though highly unlikely to get something decent from large dollar rolls?
So how many of you guys order large dollar rolls, (if there even is such a thing??) or ask for loose large dollars?
Thanks for the info Coolpix9, so I guess finding a silver dollar is extremely unlikely, eh? :D
Thanks again for helping out a greenie!
 
BeerBelly said:
Thanks fellas,
I did a little bit of googling, and it looks like there were no dollar coins minted for circulation between 1936 and 1970?
Silver fox, are you saying the old dollars like the peace, morgan gold etc. dollars were the same size as the Ike dollars? So then it may be possible, though highly unlikely to get something decent from large dollar rolls?
So how many of you guys order large dollar rolls, (if there even is such a thing??) or ask for loose large dollars?
Thanks for the info Coolpix9, so I guess finding a silver dollar is extremely unlikely, eh? :D
Thanks again for helping out a greenie!
That is what I am saying. That is so any dollar coin, old (silver) or new cupo-nickle will work in a machine that takes large dollars. At laest as far back as 1840 they have all been 38.1 mm. and within a few grams of weight. If you get large dollar rolls you might get lucky and find a real "silver dollar".
 
BeerBelly said:
Thanks Silver Fox,
I appreciate your help! :thumbsup:
No problem. You need to get a Red Book coin book. It has all that information.
 
BeerBelly said:
Thanks fellas,
I did a little bit of googling, and it looks like there were no dollar coins minted for circulation between 1936 and 1970?

Actually the US Mint minted over 200,000 1964 90% silver Peace Dollars. But they were all melted down and never officially released to the public. I just got to believe that there is at least one still in existence. Maybe we'll hear one day of a mint employee that kept one. It seems like such a waste to have them all melted down :'(

From http://www.worksandwords.com/moneym/peace64.htm "All of the '64 Peace dollars were supposedly melted down. Though security was much less efficient then, a current mint official who was working on the project at that time thinks that very few ever left the building. However, this official does believe that some got out into the hands of various officials like senators, and the like, because, "There were often calls from senators and state officials, and others like the mayor of Denver, and people like that, seeking copies." The official said he feels there are "probably 6 or so" somewhere out there that were not melted. Others have said that there are as many as a 2 or 3 bags."

So if you ever find one, you could be set for life, provide the fed does not take it from you.
1964dolr.webp
 
I have only hinted at ordering large dollar coins ans every time I do the tellers say "NO WAY" so I never really tried.

I do however always ask for the large dollar coins when CRH'g and over the course of the last 3 years have picked up over 3000 of them, I search and spend.

To this day I have only had the good fortune to pull 3 40% Ikes

I have cherry picked a copper clad roll of ea. year and mint mark with the exception of the 1973 wich I have only accumulated 4 copies to date.

I have about 150 copies of the type II BOLD lettering Bicentennial 1776 1976

I have maybe 2 copies of the type II 1972 but only because I never really knew what to look for or did not bother. But I just found one 2 weeks ago.

I got real lucky 2 years ago and scored an entire mixed roll of Morgan and Peace Dollars..... My heart still skips a beat thinking about it.

I also recently (4 months ago) scored a Peace dollar mixed in with a roll of Ikes.

And about 1 1/2 years ago I got 4 silver in a mixed hand full from a teller.... She noted how dirty they were and asked if I was sure I still wanted them....... LOL

Basically always ask....... and just say BIG Dollar coins. Not Silver Dollars......

Good Luck on your Hunt.

Mojo

Here is the Peace Dolllar that was mixed in a roll of Ikes
 

Attachments

  • 22Speace.webp
    22Speace.webp
    33 KB · Views: 983
  • 22Speace.webp
    22Speace.webp
    33 KB · Views: 535
I dug up some more photo's I got these on 6 22 08

Mojo
 

Attachments

  • IOS.webp
    IOS.webp
    13.9 KB · Views: 3,327
  • IOSREVT2.webp
    IOSREVT2.webp
    9 KB · Views: 1,451
  • TYPEII.webp
    TYPEII.webp
    11 KB · Views: 440
  • IOS.webp
    IOS.webp
    13.9 KB · Views: 1,810
  • IOSREVT2.webp
    IOSREVT2.webp
    9 KB · Views: 1,435
  • TYPEII.webp
    TYPEII.webp
    11 KB · Views: 433
back on 6/30 my phone number and a request to a teller to call me if anyone comes in trying to cash in old coins pays off with me buying these beauties at 9x face in a mcdonalds parking lot.
 

Attachments

  • niceteller.webp
    niceteller.webp
    30 KB · Views: 610
  • niceteller.webp
    niceteller.webp
    30 KB · Views: 486
Scott (Mich) said:
BeerBelly said:
Thanks fellas,
I did a little bit of googling, and it looks like there were no dollar coins minted for circulation between 1936 and 1970?

Actually the US Mint minted over 200,000 1964 90% silver Peace Dollars. But they were all melted down and never officially released to the public. I just got to believe that there is at least one still in existence. Maybe we'll hear one day of a mint employee that kept one. It seems like such a waste to have them all melted down :'(

From http://www.worksandwords.com/moneym/peace64.htm "All of the '64 Peace dollars were supposedly melted down. Though security was much less efficient then, a current mint official who was working on the project at that time thinks that very few ever left the building. However, this official does believe that some got out into the hands of various officials like senators, and the like, because, "There were often calls from senators and state officials, and others like the mayor of Denver, and people like that, seeking copies." The official said he feels there are "probably 6 or so" somewhere out there that were not melted. Others have said that there are as many as a 2 or 3 bags."

So if you ever find one, you could be set for life, provide the fed does not take it from you.



Yes, I think you're right, IF you ever came across a 1964 Peace Dollar, sure it'd be worth a lot, But as soon as you brought it out, it'd probably be confiscated, and you may have a lot of questions to answer
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom