What's new

Large Spike from farm by Chickamauga Use??

traveller777

Gold Member
Joined
Aug 20, 2017
Messages
5,581
Reaction score
17,446
Golden Thread
0
Location
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found these on a farm adjoining Chickamauga Battlefield. I am not saying they are Civil War. I do not know. I have found lots of square nails and smaller spikes but this is largest I have found. Any ideas of use would be appreciated.
 

Attachments

  • spike.webp
    spike.webp
    289.9 KB · Views: 130
  • spike 2.webp
    spike 2.webp
    292.9 KB · Views: 106
  • spike 3.webp
    spike 3.webp
    300.2 KB · Views: 124
Did you eat a lot of paint chips as a child?
Not alot really in the grand scheme of things...

But i did hold lead split shot sinkers in my mouth all the time whilst fishing... and used back teeth to close em on line all the time.
Used my teeth to grip a random lead weight whilst cast netting all through youth.
And played with broken mercury thermometers a few times...

Does this count ? and yes it is the truth.
 
Last edited:
One clue is the rounded end from wear.
A spike to fasten that blunt would require effort (well , more effort) to drive unless a pilot hole was bored first. Or it would likely split wood.

I would guess that it is a spiked tooth for a harrow.

Shapes vary from round to multiple flat sides. My more modern though old , are round.
Here's a spike claimed to be from a harrow similar to yours.
 

Attachments

  • R (12).webp
    R (12).webp
    2.8 KB · Views: 84
One clue is the rounded end from wear.
A spike to fasten that blunt would require effort (well , more effort) to drive unless a pilot hole was bored first. Or it would likely split wood.

I would guess that it is a spiked tooth for a harrow.

Shapes vary from round to multiple flat sides. My more modern though old , are round.
Here's a spike claimed to be from a harrow similar to yours.
Thanks a ton!!! I will look up some of those and see what I can find. Good job.
 
Thanks, releventchair. I do not think anyone will disagree with your quick assessment, so I am calling it solved.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom