Larger coil users ... What ya think of it? Does size matter? LoL no pervs!!

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains
I recently got the Fisher CZ-6A. There are a few spots here that had a lot of silver and got hunted pretty good. Occasionally a piece of silver will pop out. As far as I can tell from asking others the best detectors used were that of the ones in the range of my CZ. But most were probably not as good as this detector, they just were there at the right time.

Now many of these grounds / play areas were established 1920 - 1940. I have an 8" spider coil. From asking the peps that used to detect around here I think that was the largest coil used by most peps here.

Now if I pay the $105ish to get the 10 1/2in Spider coil will it make a difference on getting a few inches deeper?

Well to be more to the point those of you that have upgraded coil size has you went back to areas you detected and started to pull up items deeper than you ever had originally been getting?

Most of these places are fairly free of trash. LoL atleast in the 8" coil range. These are large area so I look forward to having a larger coil to cover ground.

You see I am one of those slow goers. I jump around at times, but for the most part I like to pick on area, or one direction and slowly work it overlapping. although I like the larger area covered by that coil, it's not enough to make the coil valuable to me. However, if you guys noticed a difference in getting to deeper targets now that would make the difference.

In area's of trash I would go to BH 5" then move my way up to deal with that one.

SO what do you all think? Did the size really matter to those sweet lady liberties or other coin for you?

Thanks in advance,

Postalrevnant

Upvote 0

Scary Hunter

Oct 9, 2006
Mexico City
Detector(s) used
Lorenz LPX2
:o :o

As I have read the bigger the deeper...but if it is very big you can have the problem of not detecting some single coins like in the coils that are 18" or bigger. Some detectors also have the double D coils that go deeper and seems to detect coins very well.

OP
OP
Postalrevnant

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains
I think the only improvement coil for my CZ-6A is the 10 1/2 inch one. But if anyone out there knows of another coil I can use double D or otherwise that can be used on my detector please let me know.

THank you,

Postalrevnant

Scary Hunter

Oct 9, 2006
Mexico City
Detector(s) used
Lorenz LPX2
I only found these 3 coils for your detector, but it doesn't say how deep it goes.

5 inch coil for CZ6a, CZ5, CZ7, CZ7a, CZ7a pro, CZ-3d, CZ70 pro 3' or 7' cable

8 inch coil for CZ6a, CZ5, CZ7, CZ7a, CZ7a pro, CZ-3D, CZ-70 pro, 3' or 7' cable

10-1/2 inch Spider coil for CZ6a, CZ5, CZ7, CZ7a, CZ7a pro, CZ-3D, CZ-70 pro, 3' or 7' cable

There is nothing about the depth of these coils, but in some detectors I have seen at kellyco that give information about the depth and coils like Explorer II, ACE 250 or Lorenz LP2X it says the bigger the deeper,etc.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
P.I. coils, especially if for a non motion machine, are a law unto themselves.
With VLF (single, twin or multifrequency) size does not mean depth because though they have increased the sensitivity of larger coils over the years they still lose sensitivity to small items. Then add the extra ground effect the machine will pick up and the increased target masking. So large could mean less depth and worse discrimination.
So normally the first coil to buy would be a smaller than stock one. If larger than coin size items are sought then large is fine if the site is not contaminated with unwanted metal/foil etc. Plus you gain the extra sweep width.
As it is with the Fisher I would just try the cheap option first of reducing discrimination.

OP
OP
Postalrevnant

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains
THank you all for your advice. By the way I was already going to get the 5" inch coil. I definately wanted that one.

It looks like thanks to all of your answers I am going to hold off on getting that larger coil. Learn a lot more about the 8" coil for now and the 5" one when I get it.

I had just read a lot of articles that talked about the extra added depth of a larger coil. Many of them were talking about after market coils. THe ones from fisher are not that type. So I was wondering if they really made a difference of a few inches or not. Your answers has helped me to decide it's probably not worth it right now. Perhaps if I get more open farmyards to detect, those without much trash (LOL if its possible) I will get one of those coils for the ground coverage.

Thank you all,

Postalrevnant

TomNWMI

Feb 5, 2006
NWMI
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Musketeer, Tek G2, Omega and a Fisher ID Edge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Larger coil users ... for CZ's

HI there,

Personally I would not be without the 10.5" CZ coil. Its my primary use coil for hunting those "hunted out" low to moderately trashy spots like you mentioned. You still have to go slow with lots of overlap to get the stuff missed by others and of course the coins have to be there. Dig all one way (back and forth) repeatable signals that are not obviously iron. The larger coil will see many on edge iffy coins the 8" misses. I believe Tom D. touches on this in the Fisher intelligence report.

HH
Tom

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
size does matter.............sorry couldn't help it ;)

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: Larger coil users ... for CZ's

TomNWMI said:
HI there,

Personally I would not be without the 10.5" CZ coil. Its my primary use coil for hunting those "hunted out" low to moderately trashy spots like you mentioned. You still have to go slow with lots of overlap to get the stuff missed by others and of course the coins have to be there. Dig all one way (back and forth) repeatable signals that are not obviously iron. The larger coil will see many on edge iffy coins the 8" misses. I believe Tom D. touches on this in the Fisher intelligence report.

HH
Tom

I totaly agree!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread