Largest Hoard of Anglo-Saxon Treasure

joecoin

Aug 22, 2007
milan ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov, Garrett Antique
Sorry White users, but I don't think it was a Whites detector that found this hoard.

Old Fart in TN

Nov 27, 2005
Athens Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab
I was over at above top secret dot com and was reading about this wonderful find, came by Treasure net to make sure someone had posted the story. Looks like more rain here, was hoping to get out this weekend. Jeff

OP
OP
Salvor6

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The treasure hunter, Terry Herbert, is not a tnet member. I know that when treasure hunters in Florida find something, they keep their mouth shut. :icon_pirat:

haybudden2

Apr 2, 2009
gulf coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-x, CZ-7, CZ-20, F-5
joecoin: If he didn't use a Whites Spectrum, then it must be someone
elses detector you can see over his left shoulder in the pictures of him.

Hay2

Saturna

Bronze Member
May 24, 2008
Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
Detector(s) used
White's 4900 DL Max, Tesoro Deleon
Salvor6 said:
The treasure hunter, Terry Herbert, is not a tnet member. I know that when treasure hunters in Florida find something, they keep their mouth shut. :icon_pirat:

With good reason. They will get screwed by the state. Florida appears to be treasure hunter hostile, with the expected results. Why does only England seem to 'get it right' ?

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good for Mr. Herbert. One day he's a disabled, unemployed chap on the dole, living in goverment housing. His one enjoyment in life is toying about with what is likely a very used metal detector.
The next day, he's a national hero, a bona-fide celebrity and a soon be filthy rich man. Just what treasure hunting is all about.

Good for the British government for handling such things with concern for all parties.
The people of the UK win and the knowledge of history is expanded. The finders (since that is all they really are) also get a willing, fair share.

Bad for all the scoundrels who would sneak in to take what is there, then attempt to hoard and miser it for the rest of their lives. Equally bad for those who would deny them their fair due, forcing them to sneak around in the first place.

Thats the bad thing about treasure; cool heads rarely prevail.
Hats off to the Brits, this time.

Marc

Silver Member
Mar 19, 2003
Northern Hemisphere
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Nice video of the hoard......

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/vi..._Largest_Ever_Anglo-Saxon_Gold_Treasure_Trove

I watched a news clip the other day on Sky News (I WISH I could find a copy of it online!) where they interviewed an archaeologist who was just giddy with excitement.... and she said "this is how the treasure scheme is supposed to work... where citizens and government work together".

If I can find that video (anyone want to help me locate it?) we should start an email campaign here in the States, to all our our representatives, to change our laws to be more in line with the UK's! In the U.S. the laws promote clandestine treasure recoveries, and distrust of government!

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
Adventis II, GoldMaxx Power, Whites Surf Master PI Pro DD, Fisher 1280X Aquanaut, Fisher 1265X, Minelab Advantage, Hartmann 1023, Viking 6DX2
Last week at a rally in the UK another Anglo Saxon royal grave was found, but unlike this one it couldn´t be kept secret as it was at a rally. BUT, it was quickly cordoned off and the archies called in, so it´s a guess as to what it will give up !!

UK Stan

Greenie
Mar 9, 2009
rayredditch said:
Last week at a rally in the UK another Anglo Saxon royal grave was found, but unlike this one it couldn´t be kept secret as it was at a rally. BUT, it was quickly cordoned off and the archies called in, so it´s a guess as to what it will give up !!

So you are talking about the Meads in Hertford?

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
Adventis II, GoldMaxx Power, Whites Surf Master PI Pro DD, Fisher 1280X Aquanaut, Fisher 1265X, Minelab Advantage, Hartmann 1023, Viking 6DX2
UK Stan said:
rayredditch said:

So you are talking about the Meads in Hertford?
I think it was at the WW rally

sir

May 29, 2007
I saw this on the front cover of the new york times yesterday.

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
artzstuff1 said:
Even a blind dog will find a bone every now and then!!!!!!!

The clue is, to find one still full of meat and marrow, before the other dogs get to it !!

artzstuff1

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2008
Wayne Co. IL. "POND CREEK"
Detector(s) used
Tesoro's (many- 7-8)
rayredditch said:
artzstuff1 said:
Even a blind dog will find a bone every now and then!!!!!!!

The clue is, to find one still full of meat and marrow, before the other dogs get to it !!

Aint that the truth!!! The sad part is you probably could have found that stuff with a $100.00 walmart detector,

Now every poor S.O.B. in the world will rush out and buy a whites!!!!,,,, Thats funny!!!! :laughing9: :laughing9:

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
You´ve got more chance of winning $30,000,000.00 or more in the lottery than walking over a find like that in your lifetime, so if you´re detecting just for the money, sell the etector and use the money for lottery tickets, you´ve got a lot better chance !!

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
Saxon hoards,viking hoardes,Roman hoards,Celtic hoards...don't ya just hate us? lol.

I don't think the guy who said "he'll get a pat on the back,should have kept his mouth shut"..knows the rules in the UK.Don't think he was being "selfish",just government wary? lol.

Every week hundreds of items are found and reported to the authorities in the UK.Not all are declared "treasure" at an inquest,but those that are are then valued,and museums can pay the value price to purchase the goods.The value price is then split 50-50 between the finder and land owner.
Any decent detectorist has a form that's filled in by him and the landowner stating this BEFORE they even go into a field.Saves all the hassle later if something like this hoard is found. :)

Never ceases to amaze me just how much stuff is found in the UK.It's a wonder the Romans,Vikings etc ever managed to get anywhere at all seeing as they seem to have lost everything they ever owned! :laughing9:

Gonna be a lot of upset new Whites owners i think! :wink:

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dano Sverige said:
I don't think the guy who said "he'll get a pat on the back; should have kept his mouth shut"..knows the rules in the UK.

Every week hundreds of items are found and reported to the authorities in the UK.Not all are declared "treasure" at an inquest,but those that are are then valued,and museums can pay the value price to purchase the goods. The value price is then split 50-50 between the finder and land owner.
Any decent detectorist has a form that's filled in by him and the landowner stating this BEFORE they even go into a field. Saves all the hassle later if something like this hoard is found. :)

Never ceases to amaze me just how much stuff is found in the UK.It's a wonder the Romans,Vikings etc ever managed to get anywhere at all seeing as they seem to have lost everything they ever owned! :laughing9:

Gonna be a lot of upset new Whites owners i think! :wink:
Thanks for these comments, Swede. It helps clear a lot of misunderstanding.

Adrian SS

Dec 7, 2008
Canberra
Detector(s) used
LST, BDHI,Infinium,Sov XS,6000DI Pro SL,Scorpion,V-SAT,Spectrum XLT,Gold Spear,Scorpion,Sand Shark, Compadre,Sierra Madre,Safari, SDC2300, Sea Hunter,CS4PI,TDI OZ Pro, Vallon VMH3CS. Gardiner 202A
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
My understanding is that the cache was located with an 14 year old Whites Spectrum XLT.
Adrian SS

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Adrian SS said:
My understanding is that the cache was located with an 14 year old Whites Spectrum XLT.
Adrian SS
That's what he is seen posing with in various fotos, yes. A perfectly good detector as most will know, it made this difference: it was the detector he happened to have.

He might have had a Fisher or Tesoro or Trident, as well. Being as he is what we would call, "disabled and on government support" (or was :wink: ), it is probably what he could afford. Which is fine.
The point is this was an easy find. He stumbled upon the treasure ,and I found it interesting to learn he spent days diggin' artifacts, before he tired and called in the authorities.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread