Last 2 Evenings

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Hi guys, Still going at it with the weather not to bad here. Been finding some time in the evening now to do some hunting with it staying lighter out later. Been working the same set of woods. Got about 3 hrs of hunting in the last 2 night's. Not alot of time but enough to get out after a hard day. Hope you guys like them and don't get tired of seeing me so often. Like I said before I love to treasure hunt.

Take care all HH Jer

Attachments

• Last 2 evenings.jpg
    Last 2 evenings.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 413
  • Last 2 evenings 1 001.jpg
    Last 2 evenings 1 001.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 405
  • Last 2 evenings 2.jpg
    Last 2 evenings 2.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 396
Upvote 0
M

mattjd

Jer!!! Your a machine!!! ;D That's amazing how often you find good stuff. I'm starting to consider selling my 1500 and buying a dfx after seeing what you've found. HH Matt

OP
OP
JerV3

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Thanks Matt, The dfx is a sick machine. It eats the ground up. Targets seem to jump into the treasure pouch. I'm a true believer of white's products. There top notch in my book. Having alot of fun with it. Sorry I haven't gotten back to you here. I will give you a pm tonight.

Take care man Jer.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Gotta love that site you're digging! No way getting tired of seeing the goodies.

JARMAN

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2004
Jer, you the diggin man,going to have to rename you the COIN MAN.Keep it coming.HH

beetle662

Bronze Member
Jul 25, 2003
Independence, KY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+
Nice digs JerDFX!!! Thanks for sharing it with us and continued good luck with the hunts! Looks like you are certainly off to a graet start for the year! Congrats buddy!

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice work for 3 hours. I usally dont find that much in 8 hours of hunting.

Ed

N

Newbie1967

Those are beauties.

Okay, I know that a lot of posts have gone back and forth about cleaning coins. But looking at some of those coins pictured above, I have to ask you how you managed to get them looking so good. I've heard vinegar, ketchup, a "tumbler," and other not-so-nice methods. How did you get the silver to shine like that without compromising the coin values?

Thanks

NB1967

OP
OP
JerV3

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Hi guys, wanted to say thanks to you guys here first. Now to answer a question that I knew may come up eventually. I know I'm gonna take alot of heat for this one. But I consider myself a pro basically in all the aspects of the hobby. So here goes.

Living here in P.A. you get the worst conditioned coins in certain places. Not that the ground is bad it's the damn tree's in the area I think. The stuff that falls from certain tree's around here I think make the ground really acidy and the coins take a beating. Now if I'm hunting in a whole different area were the tree's are different the coins come out very nice. They also clean effortlessly. But the spots were I am finding most of my coins are in this acidy ground. My coins come out of the ground and fall apart just holding them. You can't even rince a indianhead without the rims flaking away all the time. Nickles are really bad to same with wheat's and just about all the coins that come up. Even the silver alot comes out either black as coal or has a billion years of this gray oxidation on it to were you can't barely even make out the coin. Even if it's silver.

I have tried every method of cleaning. I have 2 secrets on cleaning coins. I know guys are going to be like Jer you shouldn't clean nothing but let them soak in olive oil and that's it. Well I've done that and to certain coins you get minor results. And it's a slow process. But you will never see any detail or most of the time even a date if your using just oil. At least my coins. I feal there my coins none are for sale and I'll do what I please with them right. Who wants to hunt for stuff they can't even date or see. So I got to the point and said I'm just cleaning my stuff. How valuable is the thing going to be if you take it to the local coin shop with so much crude on it he won't even be able to see it. And also it's been in the ground for so long it's real value basically is gone just from nature.

I throw a couple hundred cleaned Indians on e-bay including alot of rare dates someone would still buy them. I may be loosing some in the long run but I'll make up for that with the amounts of coins I find. I use boiling peroxide for all old coins except silver. Put a small plastic cup in the microwave for about 30 seconds. Fill the bottom of the cup with about only 2 inches of peroxide if that. Take the cup out put the coins in and they start bubling like crazy. Let them sit for 5 or 6 hrs or until you don't see them fizzing anymore. Take them out and gently with wooden tooth picks start to scrap at the coin. If the dirt is coming off easily then it will appear to be ready to be fully scrapped. If no dirt hardly is coming off. Then you need to get new peroxide re boil them and continue the process. Go gently around the rims of the coins. You will chip them. Don't try to force any crude of of them. Change your toothpicks to sharper one's when trying to get in between the dates and lettering. I would suggest trying it on Wheaties first until you master it.

Now for the other secret nobody knows about. After you have fully got your coin cleaned with all the dirt off or most of it. The more dirt you can get off of the coin the better this next step works. Go to walmart or pep boys and buy a can of mothers mag and aluminum polish. It's in a red and white can. Won't scratch any metal surface. Place silver coin in your hand dip your finger in the white paste type polish and begin to gently rub the surface of the coin. Black will instantly dissapear as you polish. The great thing about this method is that you can polish it to your liking. If you want to have that really nice old black shadowing look you can achieve it with lighter buffing. After you have rubbed the coin with the mother's take a clean terry cloth after you let the coin sit with the stuff on it for 5 minutes and start to buff the coin on the towel. Buff gently and periodically flip the coin over to view the results. You can take off just a little black or you can make them look unc. It's up to you and the value of the coin you are working on.

Now for using it on Indians Wheaties and nickles. Get most of the dirt of the coins surface all of it if you can. Do the same thing with the silver coins just rub hard and faster. They have alot more crude on them. You will have to repeat the process several times to achieve what you are looking for. It's basically like being a manual tumbler. All the polish is is a fine grit and when you rub it it will polish it out. Trust me try it. It will bring dates back on coins you thought you'd never see a date. Nickles and other coins turn out looking tumbled. But they look damn good compared to being dirty and corroded. Also this polish hides the corrosion very well. When you are fully done with a coin. Take it to the sink put some soap in your hand and wash the coin off with soap and water like dawn or something like that. Make sure you rub the edges of the coin. You don't want to leave polish on them. Dry them with a paper towel and there done.

After this really long e-mail here to explain a few cleaning methods I sure hope someone will consider it and try it. Let me know in the future what you think. Good luck work at it because nothing happens over night. You'll get it then you'll be cleaning every coin you own.

HH Jeremy

B

Bill W.

Nice tips. The only thing I would caution people on is if you use peroxide you NEED to monitor your coins every 10-15 minutes the first few times you use peroxide. With differences in soil and crude from place to place it does have an impact on how long you should let them soak. Most of the time I usually only need to soak mine for 20-40 minutes not 5-6 hours and I live in PA... not that Jer's right or I am right but the difference in soil impacts the amount of time each has to soak their coins. Soaking in peroxide too long take away detail.

Another method of cleaning I have used is Arm & Hammer Washing Soda (NOT baking soda).... it's a yellow box. Get a bowl and put a piece of aluminum foil in the bottom covering where you'll put the coins. Put some Washing soda with some coins in the bowl. Now heat water in a cup to a boil or till it's extremely hot. Pour the water into the boil and let it set until the water becomes cooler. Take out coins and rinse off.

-Bill

OP
OP
JerV3

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Hi and thanks. What I meant was not to use peroxide on the silver. War nickles are okay to put in peroxide. With your silver coins bring them home rinse the mud off dry them. Then just apply the mother's to it and you'll get instant results. Black and gray comes off instantly. Take off as much or as little as you like through this step. Buff easier to keep some black patina on the coin or buff hard and it will look like it just came out of the mint. Give it a try on a none valuable coin like a quarter that's really dirty from the 60's and you'll be amazed. Let me know if any of you out there try this. Sorry if the post is a little confusing. Trying to write tips for people and not leave out a single detail is tough and takes alot of thinking and writing. Hope this clears this up for you. Works great on silver rings gold rings and anything you want to polish. Even small relics it will make new again.

HH Jer

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread