What's new

Last 2010 Hunt- Fossil found

Rich_VB

Tenderfoot
Joined
Dec 25, 2010
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Last hunt for 2010, hoped to get more from the storm we had last weekend, but alas, the sand moves back in quickly. Still a few finds in the high area where the cuts were from last weekend. Walking back swinging and checking out the shells when I see something black that stands out. Pick it up and it’s a fossilized vertebra of a whale or pre-historic something..... Fairly unusual for here in Virginia Beach (I think). Seems most of these type finds are made around southern North Carolina, South Carolina and points south.

New Year has started, good luck to everyone and hopefully we'll get some good storms this winter!
-Rich
 

Attachments

  • FossileVertebrae.webp
    FossileVertebrae.webp
    25 KB · Views: 512
Upvote 0
Rich, that's a terrific find! :hello2:

I'd love to find something like that up here.
 
Interesting find

I'd take it in to your local museum. They may know where and what type of animal it belonged to. They may even be able to use it in an exibit that is in process.

Good find


Ralph
 
Actually, that's a pretty large one even for SC beaches!

That's why I love beach hunting, if you stand in one place long enough, eventually the tide will wash up the entire world at your feet.
 
hmmm, so thats where i put my spine?? :laughing9: awesome!!! :headbang:
 
Looks like it might be from a pre-historic black bear. Very nice find!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom