kimsdad
Silver Member
- Joined
- Apr 17, 2008
- Messages
- 4,693
- Reaction score
- 24
- Golden Thread
- 0
- Location
- Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
- Detector(s) used
- E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
- #1
Thread Owner
Last hunt of the year!? Two coin "mini-spill"
Hey everyone! With the crappy weather & having other things to do, I haven't been out since a week ago Sunday. It took a while to clean all the mud off of the detector after that little foray, and I wasn't too eager to get it muddy again.
I had 111 silvers for the year, and I've got this wierd thing about numbers - even are better than odd.
I wanted to get one more before 2010. Well, Mark had a spot he wanted to hit, so off we went.
We hit his spot for a while without any real success. After a while, we decided to head back toward our cars and hit a few spots we had passed coming in. After wandering around this older area that looked like it used to be somewhat of a clearing, I crossed the path and walked about twenty feet in and got an Indian signal. Depth was hard to judge because of the snow, and I was thinking that for all I know it could be another piece of junk. I dug down and probed, but now I was getting a penny/dime with the probe.
I popped out another shovel full and probed again. Now I was getting a solid nickel in the hole.
So, I probed around the dirt I had just removed and found a 1908 Barber dime! Number 112 of 2009!
Man the silver is hard to find in the mud!

After pics and inspection, I went back to work on the nickel and got a nicely detailed '16 buff.


So that's why the dime sounded like an Indian - it was the Indian on the nickel running interference! Both coins were between five and six inches deep. When I started cleaning the nickel at home, I thought I'd whacked the Indian under his nose. It would have served him right if I had. "Stupid #$%!%^$) hard-to-clean red nickel!" Closer inspection revealed that it is actually a raised area, maybe caused by a die defect. A little lower and it would have looked like he was smoking a doob.
If this turns out to be the last hunt of the year, a Barber and a buff are a good way to end the season in my book! Besides, I just ran out of dime holders.

Well, thanks for checking out my post! It's been a great year, and I hope you all have a Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year!
Hey everyone! With the crappy weather & having other things to do, I haven't been out since a week ago Sunday. It took a while to clean all the mud off of the detector after that little foray, and I wasn't too eager to get it muddy again.
I had 111 silvers for the year, and I've got this wierd thing about numbers - even are better than odd.
I wanted to get one more before 2010. Well, Mark had a spot he wanted to hit, so off we went. We hit his spot for a while without any real success. After a while, we decided to head back toward our cars and hit a few spots we had passed coming in. After wandering around this older area that looked like it used to be somewhat of a clearing, I crossed the path and walked about twenty feet in and got an Indian signal. Depth was hard to judge because of the snow, and I was thinking that for all I know it could be another piece of junk. I dug down and probed, but now I was getting a penny/dime with the probe.
So, I probed around the dirt I had just removed and found a 1908 Barber dime! Number 112 of 2009! Man the silver is hard to find in the mud!

After pics and inspection, I went back to work on the nickel and got a nicely detailed '16 buff.


So that's why the dime sounded like an Indian - it was the Indian on the nickel running interference! Both coins were between five and six inches deep. When I started cleaning the nickel at home, I thought I'd whacked the Indian under his nose. It would have served him right if I had. "Stupid #$%!%^$) hard-to-clean red nickel!" Closer inspection revealed that it is actually a raised area, maybe caused by a die defect. A little lower and it would have looked like he was smoking a doob.

If this turns out to be the last hunt of the year, a Barber and a buff are a good way to end the season in my book! Besides, I just ran out of dime holders.

Well, thanks for checking out my post! It's been a great year, and I hope you all have a Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year!









