What's new

Late Colonial Artifact (lead tassel or weight)?

metaldetector101

Full Member
Joined
May 17, 2009
Messages
141
Reaction score
30
Golden Thread
0
Location
Eastern PA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i
No clue hahaha, its got a cool design on it ???
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0389.webp
    IMG_0389.webp
    101.4 KB · Views: 454
  • IMG_0390.webp
    IMG_0390.webp
    92.6 KB · Views: 431
  • IMG_0392.webp
    IMG_0392.webp
    61.8 KB · Views: 428
  • IMG_0393.webp
    IMG_0393.webp
    39.2 KB · Views: 426
It's the end of a bell pull. Some of the south ends were made of metal like yours and some had string tassels. Neat find :thumbsup: Breezie
 

Attachments

  • BellPulls.webp
    BellPulls.webp
    28.9 KB · Views: 440
Upvote 0
I dug one of those one time, but it was on the end of a rod that is about 3/8 thick and about 3 inches long. Gosh only knows where it is at the moment, but if I can lay my hands on it, I will post a photo sometime tomorrow.
 
Upvote 0
creskol said:
I dug one of those one time, but it was on the end of a rod that is about 3/8 thick and about 3 inches long. Gosh only knows where it is at the moment, but if I can lay my hands on it, I will post a photo sometime tomorrow.

Creskol, Some of the bell pulls were on the end of a rod like you described. I look forward to seeing the pics. Breezie
 

Attachments

  • Bell-Pull-Winchester-Brass-BPEX.webp
    Bell-Pull-Winchester-Brass-BPEX.webp
    12.2 KB · Views: 600
Upvote 0
I was researching something else and ran across this, which would be a good possibility for your tassel item:
 

Attachments

  • tas.webp
    tas.webp
    72.8 KB · Views: 484
  • Screen shot 2011-12-25 at 7.48.31 PM.webp
    Screen shot 2011-12-25 at 7.48.31 PM.webp
    16.4 KB · Views: 813
Upvote 0
Good eye Creskol :icon_thumleft: How to tell the difference between a drawer pull and a bell pull is in the shape. If his tassel is basically round, it's probably a bell pull. If it is flat on the back, it's probably a drawer hardware. Draw pulls were generally 'flat' on the back to prevent scratching the wood. :thumbsup: Breezie
 
Upvote 0
Breezie said:
Good eye Creskol :icon_thumleft: How to tell the difference between a drawer pull and a bell pull is in the shape. If his tassel is basically round, it's probably a bell pull. If it is flat on the back, it's probably a drawer hardware. Draw pulls were generally 'flat' on the back to prevent scratching the wood. :thumbsup: Breezie

A lot of them were flat, I agree. However, weren't there an abundance of "pendant pulls" that were not flat?
 
Upvote 0
creskol said:
Breezie said:
Good eye Creskol :icon_thumleft: How to tell the difference between a drawer pull and a bell pull is in the shape. If his tassel is basically round, it's probably a bell pull. If it is flat on the back, it's probably a drawer hardware. Draw pulls were generally 'flat' on the back to prevent scratching the wood. :thumbsup: Breezie

A lot of them were flat, I agree. However, weren't there an abundance of "pendant pulls" that were not flat?

C, Yes there were some round hardware, and the ones that immediately come to mind are the Victorian 'teardrop' style, but if you will notice, the actual teardrop doesn't lie directly on the furniture because the conical back base slightly holds it off. Could MD's tassel be one that was on a base? My thoughts are no, because it is 3 inches long, which seems too long to be a drawer pull, but I guess it could go either way. Breezie
 

Attachments

  • Hardware.webp
    Hardware.webp
    11 KB · Views: 1,170
Upvote 0
Been taking down light fixtures from my late granddads home.Which was built by his wife's dad in 1915.I have receipts for these fixtures that have those same type pieces on them showing they were bought in 1919.
Take Care,
Pete, :hello:
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0001.webp
    IMG_0001.webp
    121.6 KB · Views: 376
  • IMG_0002.webp
    IMG_0002.webp
    40.8 KB · Views: 335
Upvote 0
Man!!Winner winner chicken dinner folks!!!!

Colonial site huh??Reason being is there is a friend out here that has dug these similar "mystery items",in 1700-early 1800's sites.I will pass this link to him.Just for conversation,as I dont think his items serve the same function as these?
Good work!!!
 
Upvote 0
Ha, thanx for the intro Kuger :hello:

What kuger is referring to is an item that shows up in late 1700's/early 1800's sites here in CA (the Spanish mission period). The one in this post from PA does not resemble the types we find in CA though. The kinds we find here have sometimes been deemed to be drawer pulls or boot "janglers" or bell-clappers, and various other explanations. While those may have their original purpose, yet they showed up here in CA for no other purpose than to be indian trade items. Ie.: trinkets with which to trade with the indians. The context of their finds, and the #'s within those contexts outweigh any other explanation.

I don't have any pix readily available from my collection, as I have just gotten a new 'puter here, and haven't transfered over my pix yet. But here's 2 samples that can be found here in CA, that I happen to have a pix of handy:
 

Attachments

  • 004.webp
    004.webp
    65 KB · Views: 346
  • 023.webp
    023.webp
    38.7 KB · Views: 354
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom