What's new

Late PM/Early AM hunt, Silver cross, Gold Ring #14 and a nice 8.6g 22k pendant/chain!

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Joined
Jul 8, 2012
Messages
1,706
Reaction score
3,199
Golden Thread
1
Location
SE Va
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hit the oceanfront for low tide last night. Got there about 4 hrs before to give myself enough time to cover some ground. (last time down there I felt like I gave up too early and moved on, little "run and gun" as Jim says) and missed some of the tgs that were only reachable once the tide was way out (unless you wanted to get beat to death in the surf in the dark...not a good idea....the drunk muggles still wandering on the beach wouldn't be much help!). Once I got to my turn around point I saw our buddy Stu from NC on the beach with his wife. We compared notes and neither of us had gotten much to that point (I had less than $0.25 in clad and some junk) I had a couple good sounding tgts earlier and one awesome sounding 12.13 on the CTX but lost em in the wash. Figured most were just junk but that 12.13 bothered me as I felt it may have been something good or at least a nickel.

After talking for a few we got back at it. I got back in the wash and the first tgt was a NICE gold pendant and chain! Stu and his wife were my good luck charms! I knew it sounded good and when I first saw it it was in the scoop, with chain hanging down and watched as it slipped back into the water. Of course I went into "furious recovery mode" chasing and digging as fast as I could because it was sliding all over in the wash. After a few attempts got it in the scoop and brought it out of the water so I didn't have to play that game again. Stu's wife had the good eyes and saw the "875" stamped on it, 21k! Wow! Highest karat gold I have ever dug! Tested them both at home and though the 22k acid held it is 21k at 8.6 grams. Good deal! Dug the silver cross soon after but then nothing else in this spot.

On my return leg the weather started rolling in bands of clouds, wind and some wicked lightning off in the distance. I picked up the pace a bit and saw this HUGE cloud coming over head. I got a video of how massive it was but it may not come out so well, then the first rains hit. (storm cloud video link: ) Quick and intense, small "squall" was right behind the cloud then it stopped. I kept at it still moving to my exit point when I got a nice sounding 12.13. This was in the same area where I had lost the 12.13 earlier. Coincidence? Possibly? Fate? If so, I'm playing the lottery today! One scoop pulled it right out (indicator it was a recent drop or one I had fished out and lost earlier..most tgts were 3 scoops or more to recovery to this point) and it was a nice 14k 2.7g Gold Ring! Sweet! After the 21k number this was icing on the cake!

I worked the area for a bit but then the next storm wave came and this was much worse then the last. Heavy rain and some wicked lighting that when it went off, the CTX would sound off too. Too close....Time to go..... I figured I had already had a great night and best not push my luck, no need to get electrocuted. I shut down operations for the night, hauled ass to the boardwalk and walked the last few blocks to the car. Of course as soon as I got there, a de-jocked and put all the gear away, it stopped. Figures eh? I considered jocking back up but it was around 0330 at this point and I was still seeing more lightning so I didn't let greed get the better of me and headed home.

Sorry for the long winded story, wanted to capture it all and am still kinda excited as I write this! This hobby really can make ya feel like an exploring/treasure hunting kid again!

20160719_030934.webp20160719_030940.webp20160719_040456.webp20160719_040501.webp20160719_041245.webp20160719_041511.webp20160719_041549.webp20160719_041147.webp
 
Last edited:
Upvote 28
Had it wrong, 875 is 21K not 22k, sorry.
 
Sounds like a great day, DocBeav! Except for the lightning, squals, false positives on the MD, etc. Thanks for sharing! Loved the story!
 
Beautiful necklace and pendant, congratulations! :occasion14:
 
Sweet gold and silver finds! Congrats!

The pendant looks like a little prayer box. That is sweet, 21k gold!

Ya when your detector starts talking to the lighting, definately time to go! :eek:
 
I have been underwater MANY times when lightning makes my CZ crackle. SPOOKY. I just stay underwater till it passes.

That is a beautiful bunch of gold there. Would make anyone's day brighter to see that in a scoop. Sweet saves
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom