SultansOfSwing
Hero Member
Yesterday I hit a park about a half hour away. It has been hit by many detectorists over the years but it is a large park with a lot of history and there are still nooks that havent been hit, as you will see below. This park was used as fairgrounds years ago, and there is a railroad depot across the street. Its still a popular park with a little league diamond, tennis courts, a band stand, playground, football field, pavillion and more. With a few acres of wide open space for rec activities. Also probably a half mile oval jogging path around its circumference. On the outside of the park are woods.
I started off in one section of the woods where my friend and I hit when there was still snow on the ground. I think this was in march. We each got an indian at that time and today I decided to start here. My first target was a brass cap, maybe to a parasol (not pictured). It was a 16 on the equinox, and I was thinking it would be a pull tab. Next target was a very deep spigot(not pictured), about 18 inches down. It sound like deep silver but once I got down to it and the pin pointer was indicating a wide target I knew it wasnt silver. This was showing a vdi swinging between 29 and 36.
Next target was a 26 on the vdi and depth was showing about 4 inches. I pinpointed it and out came this nice compact. Im not sure on the age but maybe 1940's? Of course I had to open it up to see if the gold coin was inside, but it was not..this time!



My next target was a solid deep tone showing 19/20 on the vdi. From seeing a few videos and knowing where I was digging, I was positive this was an indian. Sure enough, about 8 inches down, an 1891 Indian popped out. This was my first indian since getting my equinox.
I left the woods and crossed a gravel road which had a swail separating it from the jogging path. Ten seconds swinging this swail I was getting a 25/26 on the vdi. Shallow as well. I was certain this was a copper penny or wheatie. To my delight I popped out a silver about 3.5 inches down pinned against some rock. I saw Liberty sitting and I kept saying 'no way, no freaking way"



Now, going back to Sunday, I went back up to the camp where my friends have let me join in on their permission and we swung til 1 in the morning last Sunday.
Right off the bat, I got this button. It has an eagle, over an anchor, over 3 cannonballs. Ive used treasure net search to help narrow it down to approx. years, and Im thinking 1890s to the 1930s? Possibly WW1 Naval? Im not sure. No back mark because it has an iron back and has deteriorated too much. Any help would be appreciated. This rung up a 14 I believe and about 6 inches down.


A little time went by and I headed to where the old lodge stood, (its a new rebuilt lodge now) and I pulled out deep nickles. These were bouncing between 11 and 13. One is a buff no date and the other is a 1908 V
Awhile went by now and I wasnt getting much. My friend got a sterling pin, it was a Junior Camp pin, its the second one found here. It was dark now, and I wanted silver bad. I headed back to the lodge area and we were about to take a food break and I got a high squeak, and showing 28 to 31 on the vdi. I said "Silver" to my friends as they had already began to rest. It took me a minute to pinpoint because of its small size, but about 6 inches down, I pulled out my first silver thimble! Ive wanted one of these since I started detecting almost 2 years ago. This thimble came out of an area all 3 of us have hit multiple times with different machines and somehow have missed. Inside shows the size of 5, some initials and the sterling mark.



And lastly, I got this 2 weeks ago and only had posted it in the equinox section after asking for some tips on cellar hole settings. This came out about 10 feet from the cellar, thick in the iron, about 6 inches down. Ran up 26, double beep, im assuming because of the 2 different pieces and shapes. Its an 1891 New Hampshire National Guard marksman badge. In person it is a lovely gold color but the camera didnt pick that up. Its one of my favorite relics ive ever found and I wanted to share it with you folks.


Thanks for looking
I started off in one section of the woods where my friend and I hit when there was still snow on the ground. I think this was in march. We each got an indian at that time and today I decided to start here. My first target was a brass cap, maybe to a parasol (not pictured). It was a 16 on the equinox, and I was thinking it would be a pull tab. Next target was a very deep spigot(not pictured), about 18 inches down. It sound like deep silver but once I got down to it and the pin pointer was indicating a wide target I knew it wasnt silver. This was showing a vdi swinging between 29 and 36.
Next target was a 26 on the vdi and depth was showing about 4 inches. I pinpointed it and out came this nice compact. Im not sure on the age but maybe 1940's? Of course I had to open it up to see if the gold coin was inside, but it was not..this time!



My next target was a solid deep tone showing 19/20 on the vdi. From seeing a few videos and knowing where I was digging, I was positive this was an indian. Sure enough, about 8 inches down, an 1891 Indian popped out. This was my first indian since getting my equinox.
I left the woods and crossed a gravel road which had a swail separating it from the jogging path. Ten seconds swinging this swail I was getting a 25/26 on the vdi. Shallow as well. I was certain this was a copper penny or wheatie. To my delight I popped out a silver about 3.5 inches down pinned against some rock. I saw Liberty sitting and I kept saying 'no way, no freaking way"



Now, going back to Sunday, I went back up to the camp where my friends have let me join in on their permission and we swung til 1 in the morning last Sunday.
Right off the bat, I got this button. It has an eagle, over an anchor, over 3 cannonballs. Ive used treasure net search to help narrow it down to approx. years, and Im thinking 1890s to the 1930s? Possibly WW1 Naval? Im not sure. No back mark because it has an iron back and has deteriorated too much. Any help would be appreciated. This rung up a 14 I believe and about 6 inches down.


A little time went by and I headed to where the old lodge stood, (its a new rebuilt lodge now) and I pulled out deep nickles. These were bouncing between 11 and 13. One is a buff no date and the other is a 1908 V
Awhile went by now and I wasnt getting much. My friend got a sterling pin, it was a Junior Camp pin, its the second one found here. It was dark now, and I wanted silver bad. I headed back to the lodge area and we were about to take a food break and I got a high squeak, and showing 28 to 31 on the vdi. I said "Silver" to my friends as they had already began to rest. It took me a minute to pinpoint because of its small size, but about 6 inches down, I pulled out my first silver thimble! Ive wanted one of these since I started detecting almost 2 years ago. This thimble came out of an area all 3 of us have hit multiple times with different machines and somehow have missed. Inside shows the size of 5, some initials and the sterling mark.



And lastly, I got this 2 weeks ago and only had posted it in the equinox section after asking for some tips on cellar hole settings. This came out about 10 feet from the cellar, thick in the iron, about 6 inches down. Ran up 26, double beep, im assuming because of the 2 different pieces and shapes. Its an 1891 New Hampshire National Guard marksman badge. In person it is a lovely gold color but the camera didnt pick that up. Its one of my favorite relics ive ever found and I wanted to share it with you folks.


Thanks for looking

Upvote
54









