Latest Marbles Found

cyberborikua

Apr 11, 2011
Chicago
Detector(s) used
BH 505, BH Tracker IV, Minelab Safari, Minelab E-Track,Tesoro Sand Shark, Cobra Beach Master, Radio Shack Micronta 3001
These are my latest marbles found. All of them in the woods, except the glaze looking ones that I found at the beach during my recent trip to Puerto Rico. Be my guest, I don't know anything about marbles. If you recognize a style or era, let me know. The blue/metal looking I found in the woods deep in a hole I was detecting for an old kitchen pan.

Attachments

• Marbles 003.jpg
    Marbles 003.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 393
  • Marbles 005.jpg
    Marbles 005.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 1,469
  • Marbles 004.jpg
    Marbles 004.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 364

duffytrash

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2006
ohio river
cant really tell from the pics but by your description the blue with metal lookin marble---does it have a pontil?? rough spot on the end???

OP
OP
cyberborikua

cyberborikua

Apr 11, 2011
Chicago
Detector(s) used
BH 505, BH Tracker IV, Minelab Safari, Minelab E-Track,Tesoro Sand Shark, Cobra Beach Master, Radio Shack Micronta 3001
duffytrash said:
cant really tell from the pics but by your description the blue with metal lookin marble---does it have a pontil?? rough spot on the end???

Well I looked up what a potinl was, but to tell you the truth I don't see a rough side to it. I noted bubbles inside though; it is not completely round, kind of an oval, although not intentionally made to be like that it seems. It has some smooth light ridges on the surface. I don't think this marble was hit or ever hit another one. Here are two more pics. Sorry my camera is not top of the line.

Attachments

• Marbles 006.jpg
    Marbles 006.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 400
  • Marbles 007.jpg
    Marbles 007.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 393

vallealbert

May 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Me encantan las canicas, asi que encuentro tremendo esos hallazgos....el grupo de 5 canicas a la derecha se le conoce en Ingles como "cat's eyes"....se empezaron a hacer en los 20's, pero como en la actualidad todavia las hacen, son muy dificiles de datar. Las dos de color azul que encontraste en la playa, podrian ser lo que se conoce como "codd marbles"...venian dentro de unas botellas y se usaban para sellar gaseosas (sodas)....esas botellas se las conoce como Codd bottles......casi todas las codd marbles eran transparentes, pero tambien venias de otros colores. La azul que esta sola en la foto...es un bolon (shooter)???? El "pontil mark" que te mencionaron era la parte que unia la canica a la varilla con que la hacian...cuando la cortaban de la varilla, quedaba una pequeña marca en forma de levantón....desde luego, eso era en las canicas hechas a mano (siglo 19)...la tuya tu dices que es algo ovalada, pero aun las canicas hechas a mano eran casi perfectamente redondas...

Espero que esto te ayude en algo.

Gnome Punter

May 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These are my latest marbles found. All of them in the woods, except the glaze looking ones that I found at the beach during my recent trip to Puerto Rico. Be my guest, I don't know anything about marbles. If you recognize a style or era, let me know. The blue/metal looking I found in the woods deep in a hole I was detecting for an old kitchen pan.

1st one is modern. The luster marbles started appearing in the early 80's
2nd are mid to late 60's Cateyes
and final, Sea Marble.
There are several tales of how these get into the ocean, so read up and take your pick. I like the one pertaining to marbles being used as ballast. Albeit a metal ship using marbles for ballast seems a bit far fetched,however, choose your favorite

StoneyRun

Mar 10, 2013
S.W. Missouri
Detector(s) used
old faithful Radio Shack
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bert said "I love marbles, so tremendous meeting those finds... the Group of 5 marbles on the right is known in English as 'cat's eyes'... they began to make in the 20's, but currently still make them, they are very difficult to date. The two blue you found on the beach, could be what is known as 'codd marbles'... came within a few bottles and used for sealing soft drinks (soda)... those bottles known as Codd... almost all marbles codd bottles were transparent, but also other colors venias. ... Is the blue that is alone in the photo a bolon (shooter)? The 'pontil mark' that you mentioned was the part linking the marble to the rod with which the made... when they cut it from the rod, was a little mark in the form of boost... certainly, that was in the marbles made by hand (19th century)... yours you say that it is somewhat oval, but still handmade marbles were almost perfectly round...

I hope that this help you"

Cheri, I agree with Punter.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being old enough to have played with marbles as a kid I dispute that cats eye marbles were made in the 1920s. I saw my first cats eyes for sale in the mid 1950s. I also have over 500 hand made marbles in my old collection and very few are really "close" to round. You had to be a really good shooter with the old hand made marbles because you had to align them to not rotate on the pontil axis or they would hop and wobble all over the place.

Gnome Punter

May 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bert said "I love marbles, so tremendous meeting those finds... the Group of 5 marbles on the right is known in English as 'cat's eyes'... they began to make in the 20's, but currently still make them, they are very difficult to date. The two blue you found on the beach, could be what is known as 'codd marbles'... came within a few bottles and used for sealing soft drinks (soda)... those bottles known as Codd... almost all marbles codd bottles were transparent, but also other colors venias. ... Is the blue that is alone in the photo a bolon (shooter)? The 'pontil mark' that you mentioned was the part linking the marble to the rod with which the made... when they cut it from the rod, was a little mark in the form of boost... certainly, that was in the marbles made by hand (19th century)... yours you say that it is somewhat oval, but still handmade marbles were almost perfectly round...

I hope that this help you"

Cheri, I agree with Punter.

Stoney,Cat eyes did not come about until 1950 in Japan

StoneyRun

Mar 10, 2013
S.W. Missouri
Detector(s) used
old faithful Radio Shack
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Peltier started making the Banana cats in the 30's. japan started in the 50's, and really flooded the market. There were other companies that started to make them in the mid 40's but Japanese got the market from them.

Want to waste an hour or so, lol? Check this cat eye thread on my marble forum. Interesting, if you love cat eyes, or just want to see some nice pictures of the different types.

Cheri

Last edited:

Gnome Punter

May 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Peltier started making the Banana cats in the 30's. japan started in the 50's, and really flooded the market. There were other companies that started to make them in the mid 40's but Japanese got the market from them.

Want to waste an hour or so, lol? Check this cat eye thread on my marble forum. Interesting, if you love cat eyes, or just want to see some nice pictures of the different types.

Cheri

That's splitting hairs since a cats eye is a 4-6 vaned marbles with bright,lengthy vanes.
Peltier had nothing in common with a Japanese Cat eye nor did Master.
To lump these marbles in as cat eyes is confusing to many since they are not called cats eyes by collectors...you proved that with the word banana right off the bat.
While I understand the basic context is the same, the end product was not.
So, putting a cat eye next to a banana or one of those master blobs of glass or anything Berry Pink played with will yield the same answer as to which one is a cat eye to the normal or novice collector.
Splitting hairs as well,but it causes less confusion to do so where people whom are not familiar with the specifics are concerned .

StoneyRun

Mar 10, 2013
S.W. Missouri
Detector(s) used
old faithful Radio Shack
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As to the quoted post from Bert, all I did was give a Spanish translation. And I said I agreed with Gnome Punter.

That's splitting hairs since a cats eye is a 4-6 vaned marbles with bright,lengthy vanes.
Peltier had nothing in common with a Japanese Cat eye nor did Master.
To lump these marbles in as cat eyes is confusing to many since they are not called cats eyes by collectors...you proved that with the word banana right off the bat.
While I understand the basic context is the same, the end product was not.
So, putting a cat eye next to a banana or one of those master blobs of glass or anything Berry Pink played with will yield the same answer as to which one is a cat eye to the normal or novice collector.
Splitting hairs as well,but it causes less confusion to do so where people whom are not familiar with the specifics are concerned .

Splitting hairs it might be to you, but your simplistic definition of a cat eye as a 4-6 vaned marble is just a beginners definition. If you get into cats, there are many, many different kinds. Japan used Coke bottles for their first cats, hence the base color. American cats first used clear, then branched out into other base colors. I am sorry that you think the folks on this forum are to "simple" to want to learn the whole story on cat eyes.
(Please read our rules about advertising other web site)
And the thread that has the Johnny Carson swami character, Sorry I forgot the link. So nice of you to be helpful and not sarcastic in reminding me. Way to treat a fairly new member. You should be so proud of yourself.

But that thread has some major collectors in it. You want to argue with them, fine. As a serious collector myself, I take offense to the way I am being treated just because you think you are King of the Mountain here. I was only trying to help.

Keep your kingdom, and your serfs in the dark. I will continue to collect. Let them rely on your thin knowledge of marbles in your one dimensional world.

Good luck, all. Enjoy your finds!

Cheri

Last edited by a moderator:

Gnome Punter

May 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:censored:
As to the quoted post from Bert, all I did was give a Spanish translation. And I said I agreed with Gnome Punter.

Splitting hairs it might be to you, but your simplistic definition of a cat eye as a 4-6 vaned marble is just a beginners definition. If you get into cats, there are many, many different kinds. Japan used Coke bottles for their first cats, hence the base color. American cats first used clear, then branched out into other base colors. I am sorry that you think the folks on this forum are to "simple" to want to learn the whole story on cat eyes.

And the thread that has the Johnny Carson swami character, Sorry I forgot the link. So nice of you to be helpful and not sarcastic in reminding me. Way to treat a fairly new member. You should be so proud of yourself.

But that thread has some major collectors in it. You want to argue with them, fine. As a serious collector myself, I take offense to the way I am being treated just because you think you are King of the Mountain here. I was only trying to help.

Keep your kingdom, and your serfs in the dark. I will continue to collect. Let them rely on your thin knowledge of marbles in your one dimensional world.

Good luck, all. Enjoy your finds!

Cheri

Well, that was...mature.
I pointed out, and you quoted and BOLDED my intent to limit confusion, information overload. You seem to take it as a personal attack that I disagreed with you and then you further showed your maturity by insinuating that I felt people were "simple" here and I was a lord.
Perhaps you should reflect on the join dates. You were here before myself and we have the exact same number of posts, all 35....so your assessment and view have to be based on your personal life issues and nothing I said.

You may also want to reflect on how tacky it is and childish, to link other websites that pull people away. Maybe that was all you were doing anyway, looking for excuses to promote your own website that seems to buy/sell/trade...and have threads where 3 specific people DO seem to LORD over others . Maybe your post here was a vent about how you feel you are on your wesbite.
Freud was a funny guy you know.

Anyway, thanks for the glimpse into the mind of a crazy woman...or maybe you are just a devious person with an agenda and myself disagreeing with you, gave you that opportunity...hence the link.

Tacky Stoney, on either account.

Sorry your thread was cluttered Cyberborikua

EDIT: I see staff removed your link. Forums thrive on traffic, to say "look here" and link a site offering similar content , in any hobby, is usually a rules violation. I am sure the other site you linked would do the same thing if you linked this site. Forums live and die by traffic.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread