What's new

Laughed At Myself Today....

LJ

Silver Member
Joined
Dec 23, 2006
Messages
3,469
Reaction score
19
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I really did something pretty stupid today.....lol. I had to laugh at myself when I figured out just what I had done.

There is one of a few banks (inside of a supermarket) that I order dimes from that come in the clear plastic shrink wrapped tubes.....love those! This isa bank that I get my halves from but other branches...not this particular branch. Anyway, I go in and ask for the dimes...get my box and just as I am about to leave I ask.....by the way, do you have any halves back there? The vault teller says sure, $240 worth....I said I'll take them!!

I get to my car and I start checking these half dollar rolls......nothing.....nothing....nothing.....then I think to myself why hadn't I ever checked this bank for halves.

Then it hit me like a bolt of lightning. I just bought my own hand rolled dump from about 2 months ago.....lol. Yep I sure did. There is another bank about 200 yards from the supermarket.....same parking lot actually. I bought the hand rolls from that bank.....did my search and dumped them at this bank in the supermarket......in ten minutes I was done with the whole process of buying and dumping. I felt so stupid!!! I just totally forgot I did this 2 months ago.

Yes, I can laugh at myself.......had one of those moments I guess!! I must have searched them well the first time around because I got skunked on the 24 rolls....ha!

Ed will have fun with this one.....oh well..........
 
Upvote 0
LJ said:
Yes, I really did something pretty stupid today.....lol. I had to laugh at myself when I figured out just what I had done.

There is one of a few banks (inside of a supermarket) that I order dimes from that come in the clear plastic shrink wrapped tubes.....love those! This isa bank that I get my halves from but other branches...not this particular branch. Anyway, I go in and ask for the dimes...get my box and just as I am about to leave I ask.....by the way, do you have any halves back there? The vault teller says sure, $240 worth....I said I'll take them!!

I get to my car and I start checking these half dollar rolls......nothing.....nothing....nothing.....then I think to myself why hadn't I ever checked this bank for halves.

Then it hit me like a bolt of lightning. I just bought my own hand rolled dump from about 2 months ago.....lol. Yep I sure did. There is another bank about 200 yards from the supermarket.....same parking lot actually. I bought the hand rolls from that bank.....did my search and dumped them at this bank in the supermarket......in ten minutes I was done with the whole process of buying and dumping. I felt so stupid!!! I just totally forgot I did this 2 months ago.

Yes, I can laugh at myself.......had one of those moments I guess!! I must have searched them well the first time around because I got skunked on the 24 rolls....ha!

Ed will have fun with this one.....oh well..........


You would have felt worse if you actually found a keeper in those hand rolls that you missed the first time around. No need to feel bad. You are a CRHing machine and you spotted an opportunity.

Do you recommend dime searching? I am addicted enough with the halves, I don't think I can handle dimes too. It takes 5 dimes to equal 1 90% half in terms of silver, so it seems like alot of effort if the rate of finds is sparse. Cost effectiveness vs. thrill of the hunt I need to consider since my time is somewhat limited.

Jim


Jim
 
Well could be worse... I have avoided dumping any rolls and try to always run them in my banks counter to let them go back to the coin service.

Nothing ventured nothing gained.
 
Been there, done that. It's called a blond moment. Yes, before the gray I did have blond hair..........LOL
 
jim4silver said:

Do you recommend dime searching? I am addicted enough with the halves, I don't think I can handle dimes too. It takes 5 dimes to equal 1 90% half in terms of silver, so it seems like alot of effort if the rate of finds is sparse. Cost effectiveness vs. thrill of the hunt I need to consider since my time is somewhat limited.

Jim

Jim - I do it for the thrill of the hunt with dimes. I think searching dimes is fun. Certainly not going to get rich on dimes for sure. I just like seeing a full roll of silver dimes in that clear tube.....lol.

With owning your own business I can understand your time issue. I don't own my own business so I guess I have a little more time. Again....just the thrill of the hunt. Since I started CRH'ing I have found almost 450 silver Rosies, Mercs & one Barber.

Silver_Fox said:
Been there, done that. It's called a blond moment. Yes, before the gray I did have blond hair..........LOL

LOL SF....thanks for making me feel better....ha!

soldierman said:
Well could be worse... I have avoided dumping any rolls and try to always run them in my banks counter to let them go back to the coin service.

Nothing ventured nothing gained.

99% of the time my halves go back to my normal dump bank, but this was a once in a blue moon thing....maybe that is why I forgot I dumped those 24 rolls there. Oh well.....I thought it was an opportunity....lol. You know my motto....leave no stones unturned......
 
jim4silver said:
Do you recommend dime searching? I am addicted enough with the halves, I don't think I can handle dimes too. It takes 5 dimes to equal 1 90% half in terms of silver, so it seems like a lot of effort if the rate of finds is sparse. Cost effectiveness vs. thrill of the hunt I need to consider since my time is somewhat limited.

Jim

I would like to add to LJ's answer.

I have started to search dimes recently and have accumulated a few. It seems a lot of people that report their findings here avg. 1-4 per box of $250. that has been my Experience as well with boxes but more like 1 per box, not so good.

However I seem to have had better luck with hand rolls and recently began a relationship with a C.U. and they agreed to sell me bags. I have had pretty good luck so far with them and just last week pulled 96 silver dimes out of a $1000 bag. Also avg. about 1 silver for every $100 of hand rolls. On 2 occasions I got a solid & near solid silver roll of dimes.

The dimes take much more time to run through the coin counter at my dump bank. it takes nearly 15 minutes to run $1000 through.

Mojo
 
LOL! That is a sign of being Institutionalized in the CRH realm! :P

Red
 
LJ,

It happens, I guess. When you think about how much planning can go into our CRH efforts it is not surprising. I did that a couple of times too before I realized how long it takes small banks to use up my dumps (non-halves). Now I never collect from a bank I dump at.

Brian
 
No worries LJ. It just goes to show you're human like the rest of us. While I haven't done that yet, I certainly won't rule it out in the future.

When you "cast a big enough net" things like that can happen.

Continued good luck.
 
That's kinda good news from another perspective. If your $240 in rejects sat there untouched for two months that means you don't have much competition.
 
Immy said:
That's kinda good news from another perspective. If your $240 in rejects sat there untouched for two months that means you don't have much competition.

Yep!
That teller was probably crossing her fingers hoping you didn't remember her. I bet she high fived her colleagues after you went you the door with all those darn halves!
 
Immy said:
That's kinda good news from another perspective. If your $240 in rejects sat there untouched for two months that means you don't have much competition.

Yes...good point Immy.

TXTim said:
Immy said:
That's kinda good news from another perspective. If your $240 in rejects sat there untouched for two months that means you don't have much competition.

Yep!
That teller was probably crossing her fingers hoping you didn't remember her. I bet she high fived her colleagues after you went you the door with all those darn halves!

Ha...Tim....your probably right. If she did remember me dropping those off I wonder what she was thinking watching me leave toting those rolls back out....lol. Embarrases me to even think of those possible thoughts.....ha! :-[ Oh well.................
 
Dont worry she did not remember where they came from she was just so excited that she no longer has to count the darn things every day. LOL

Good one LJ

HH
Cat
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom