Lawsuit happy generation for restaurants? What is your take on this case?

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains
Ok, I can see if someone really gets hurt bad inside a restaurant due to restaurant negligence or bad designs, but does it seem like restaurants seem to be loads of peps targets for lawsuits often?

Remember the finger in the chili Wendy's?

I do have one specific example to ask you about. This one is the one that I am really wondering how you all feel about it. A good friend of mines mother (mother is 63 years old), just got her elbow nearly completely shattered. Lots of surgery and pins are coming. Little bit of background, she is fully on welfare and I don't think she has to pay anything for the surgery's.

Anyways she steps out of Wendy's and after about 2 steps out the door, still on the property she slips and hits it hard on her elbow / plus other injuries as well. Now her injuries are VERY real. Apparantly she slipped on a burger wrapper. I don't know if someone was too lazy to throw trash in can or how it ended up there. (BTW this is a good reason to always put your trash in a proper container outside, you just never know).

She was not going to do anything, however once the word was spread she's got lawyers coming and calling for miles. She did not spread the word, the lawyers all came on their own (Very nice and considerate of them eh? :o .) Now she is locked and loaded on the lawsuit and her story has certainly changed. I think she really fully believes that Wendy herself put the paper under her foot and pulled it after the lawyers have worked on her a bit.

What is your take on this please? Aye I know there are some issues of scums looking for cash, and lawyers hovering around.

What I am looking for is what you think about this specific case.

Thank you,

Postalrevnant

Heavy Chevy

Jun 18, 2005
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV and others
Hey postal,

These lawyers know that large corporations will settle out of court to keep from going through litagation, which involves time and money.

In other words, lawsuit= free money !

Mike in SC

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Mike in SC said:
Hey postal,

These lawyers know that large corporations will settle out of court to keep from going through litagation, which involves time and money.

In other words, lawsuit= free money !

Mike in SC

Exactly, for a quick $10,000-or $15,000 in punitives and the medical paid, with the lawyer getting half of the punitives. Is there any reason for the atty not to go after them. Besides they'll make up the loss within a day or two.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wendy has her head in the oven
ever since ol DAVE went to the big grill station in the sky :'(
i work for them as a sub contractor
the new CEO's are running it to the ground
the president or vice i forget just got fired a while back got himself a sweet 1.5 million sev package or more i forget

Arakronn

Oct 13, 2005
De Pere/Green Bay Wisconsin
Do a google on "lawsuits/darwin award" or something like that. I can't remember the site, but there were many cases of idiots being awarded large sums because they had good lawyers (i.e., girl in a restaurant throws soda at boyfriend, then immediately, she slips in the spilled soda, sues the fast food joint, AND WINS because the floor wasn't clean).
Your friend's mother's case is tricky. Was the burger wrapper from that restaurant, did the wind blow it from a dumpster, did she drop the wrapper (I'm guessing not, but I refer to the beginning of this post)? No offense intended to your friend's mother.
Lawsuits can drive businesses into the ground. Not because of the money from the lawsuit itself, nor from the publicity, but from the impact of "making sure this never happens again". Do they need someone full-time with a mop and a sign watching for every drop of soda or ketchup that hits the floor, ready at a moments notice? Do they need someone walking the parking lot during business hours picking up every "potentially dangerous" piece of trash that enters the property? How about someone with a thermometer checking every cup of coffee that's poured to make sure it's not too hot?
IMO, I think she should go ahead with the lawsuit, but not go for some outrageous amount. Maybe a minor amount in punititve damages to cover costs not related to the hospital/doctor bills.
There's my two wheaties.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the latest Commercial around here is something like.

Do you have a case against someone for alot of Money ?

Do you need Cash Now ? Can't wait ?

We will lend you the cash now.

IF you don't Win, You Don't have to pay us Back.

What a Great Incentive to File a LAWSUIT :P

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did Catch that about her being on Welfare & wondered how she could Collect anything, without having to go off it.

And Wondered with Medical Benifits, how she Could Personally Claim
Expenses.

the only thing I'd think would be Pain & Suffering, But if they pay that,
Welfare should say, Your cut till we figure the amount you received equals the amount we would have paid you.

ckrakowski

May 7, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Arakronn said:
Do a google on "lawsuits/darwin award" or something like that. I can't remember the site, but there were many cases of idiots being awarded large sums because they had good lawyers.

stellaawards.com????

tncreeker

Feb 6, 2011
Maggie Valley, N.C.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here are my 2 cents worth. Are we no longer responsible for where we walk? These slip and falls are BS. I was taught as a child to " pay attention to where you are going", look where you`re walking, watch your step. And a million others I`m sure. The exact same things that this woman taught her children. Why do so many people look to blame someone else for their stupidity. I`m sure that there are real cases of negligence, but come on,,a burger wrapper?? I saw that this post was old and reborn,,so that's my take on it.

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This same thing happend to my friends mother,she ate at a Long John Silver's years ago ,done with her meal,walks out the door and slips on a piece of broken concrete and falls down hard and breaks several bones and knocks out several teeth :help:
The real kicker to this is an employee came out and waited with her till the EMT's got there and said that the boss should have fixed that lose piece of concrete,the good thing to that is several people herd him say this more than once.Let's move forward about 2 days and she's in allot of pain,not to mention some really big bills$$$,and guess who comes to see her,the boss from Long John's and he says if she doesn't sue, he will pay all of her medical bills. :laughing7:
Good thing she went with a GOOD lawyer,because her medical bills,were over $250,000 and the lawyer got her close to $800k,the bad thing was that Long John Silver closed that location and now it's a parking lot. :thumbsup:

tncreeker

Feb 6, 2011
Maggie Valley, N.C.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So the employee at long johns silver was in reality a cement pro? Ya know,,I can recognize when the ground is unstable, where theres a pot hole, and when its slippery when wet. Just because someone can drop a basket of frozen pre-breaded fish shaped mystery mush does not mean he knows about cement properties. She broke several bones and knocked out several teeth??? Jesus, was she 10 ft. tall? Was there a second story that she was walking on? I fell off a roof and didnt do that much damage.,,,Just sayin

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread