Lazy, lazy, lazy is the life of laralucine....

laralucine

Dec 27, 2004
S.E. PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 Minelab X-Terra 50
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,
It's been a while since I made a proper post, but I've been checking in from time to time, and love seeing everyone's finds, as usual. I left my job (which is a good thing) at the end of December and have been trying to catch up around the house and with errands and stuff. I have also gotten out to hunt a fair amount, though not in the past week, as it's finally gotten cold. The day after xmas I met a great hunting buddy, and went out a few times on the weekends, and also hit my neighbors' yard pretty hard (house probably built ca. 1905). Some pix:

Several finds from a farm field - a dreidel, a "ribbon" (figure it must have been a pin, but no remaining pin on back), a religious medallion (back has a thing about the "Friar Priests"), and a broken 1935 rabies vaccination tag.
IMG_0517.JPG

My good coin finds from this year, in order (one each day, three days in a row!) My first V nickel! and a Merc and a Walker (my second! the first was my very first silver coin). Neighbors' yard.
IMG_0518.JPG

Next is a brooch, also from neighbors', gold tone, but exciting nonetheless:
IMG_0533.JPG

This was awesome - from the edge of my backyard - Rev War era. I started to get nervous it could be a replica, b/c my next door neighbors are, oddly enough, Rev War reenactors or something, but showed it to someone who IDed it as genuine. YAAY!!
IMG_0535.JPG

Another great (for me) find - same field as the first pic - buddy id'ed it as a fruit pickers' token, ca late 1800's - The script is very clear, but so fancy I can't tell if it's an "I" or an "L" (or even maybe an "S"?!?!?!)
IMG_0539.JPG

Finally, a commemorative spoon, from yard. It says "Admiral Dewey - Hero of Manila - Flagship Olympia" and the bowl of the spoon has a pic of the boat.
IMG_0542.JPG

In the neighbors' yard, I also found a silver lady's dress belt buckle (I think) - it was monogrammed, and I returned it to the home owner. He was really excited and explained that they're only the third family to live in the house, so he knew whose it was and they have met her kids/grandkids. When my neighbors moved in, they had a built-in drawer that was stuck and when they finally opened it, they found a huge leather-bound scrapbook/photo album which they eventually returned to the family. Just like on my new TV obsession "If Walls Could Talk";)

Thanks for looking and (maybe) reading my long post, and happy hunting!
Lara

Upvote 0

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Lara - grats on all the finds you've made over the past year!! Glad leaving your job was a good thing (I don't recall exactly what you did, but I remember you not being too excited about it :-)).

I haven't been out hunting in weeks now - still waiting for a good NE'r storm to hit so I can try my luck on the ocean beaches after a heavy storm - most everything else is frozen.

Good time of year to do research though and I already have some new ideas of places to try next year! I'm also doing some reading on gold in New Hampshire/Vermont/Maine and I'm thinking of seeing if I can hook up with someone in the area who wouldn't mind taking me out gold panning/sluicing sometime next year to show me the basics - that's all I need is yet ANOTHER hobby :-).

I'm looking forward to getting another chance to hunt with you and CG again when things thaw - There's so many places to hunt and so little time :-).

Grats again!

OP
OP
laralucine

laralucine

Dec 27, 2004
S.E. PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 Minelab X-Terra 50
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everybody for the replies and all the help - I do think the first two letters on the token are "LP", but can't find any info anyhow - I'll repost on the tokens board and see if PBK has any info. Yesterday I went to this amazing old bookstore and got used copies of the "Trade Tokens" and "Merchant Tokens" books, not because anything I have is in them, but because they seemed good to have.

CG- My Rev War book came, and my buckle's in there! (#6 on page 54) And not to revive this old saga, but a lot of stuff in there reminds me of your brass whatsit from a few months ago.... ::)

Cubfan - yeah, leaving my job (management psychology) was good. We should go beach hunting soon - I'll pick up CG and we'll drive over together, whaddya say?

LL

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's right - Management Psychology - I remember it being very unique!

As far as beach hunting goes, unless we get a major 2-3 day Nor'Easter storm, I'm afraid it would be a useless trip for you guys. I've been out only a couple times in the last month or so and probably have less than $2 in clad to show for it. There seems to be more sand on the beaches at Hampton and Salisbury than there was at the end of the swimming season :(.

The other problem with hunting saltwater beaches is that if you get into the wet sand, the salt content tends to really screw up the signal for many land detectors. You're okay in the dry sand, but at this time of year there's pretty much nothing there anymore since it's been detected so many times by so many people.

Tell you what though, if you want an adventure and can dress to stay warm, keep your eyes on the weather and if you hear of a big storm hitting the coast in the next few months, send me a PM (or I'll send you one) and we can give it a try! If the storm is big enough and we hit it at low tide, you should be able to do okay at the upper tide line without too much detector chatter, and probably have as good a chance as anyone to find older coins and jewelry.

I would estimate that we need at least 4 feet of sand to be pulled out though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions