LC, Sweet Semi Key Indian & CW Store Card

Metal Illness

Jul 1, 2011
Englewood, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thawed out just enough to be a muddy mess in the field and depending on whether you were in a low area or on the ridge area it was still pretty frozen below the muddy surface, 2-3 inches down then thawing out below that level. I was a tired, aching back whooped pup after 6 hours Sunday. I did find LC #10, Indian #9 and CW Store Card #3 since Jan.2nd and all from one site. Also found 4 flat buttons. The Indian is really Crisp with great detail aside from slight field corrosion. It's condition is really Sweet for a Field Dug Copper coin. Saturday at a different site (first excursion there) I found 2-3 flat buttons and what I think may be another 1/2 Reale, it is very thin and worn smooth on both sides, no detail at all! This site crossed from the bean stubble across the access road into the corn. Man o man hunting that corn was horrible, it was mostly knee high and hard to swing. I will keep this site on hold until spring and maybe they will knock it down some b/4 it's planted.

Thanks for looking, Bill

Attachments

• 1842 LC Obverse .JPG
    1842 LC Obverse .JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 108
  • 1842 LC Reverse .JPG
    1842 LC Reverse .JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 93
  • 1874 Indian     Semi Key    Reverse .JPG
    1874 Indian Semi Key Reverse .JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 104
  • 1874 Indian    Semi Key Obverse.JPG
    1874 Indian Semi Key Obverse.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 114
  • photo (67).JPG
    photo (67).JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 109
  • photo (68).JPG
    photo (68).JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
Upvote 6
Very nice day for finding copper, is there any way you could post photos of the "reale" I am interested to see what it looks like. I like the details and patina on the 1874 Indian Head cent, it looks like XF Details. The store card is very cool, I have not seen one like that.

Coinman123,

Hello Coinman,
I'm attaching 3 pictures. A picture of each side and look close, I laid the worn smooth disc on top of my only found 1/2 Reale and you can see it's even smaller in diameter.

Attachments

• photo (81).JPG
    photo (81).JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 98
  • photo (86).JPG
    photo (86).JPG
    31.7 KB · Views: 93
  • photo (87).JPG
    photo (87).JPG
    26.8 KB · Views: 96
Nice finds! Congratulations and keep swinging

Hello Coinman,
I'm attaching 3 pictures. A picture of each side and look close, I laid the worn smooth disc on top of my only found 1/2 Reale and you can see it's even smaller in diameter.

It could be a 1/2 reale but I'm not sure, there was an open collar so the metal was free to expand so you may see different diameters between coins (not usually that big of a difference though) . If not a 1/2 then it is some other kind silver coin. Most coins in the colonial era, until the mid 1800's, were used until they were lost or worn smooth and melted, especially silver coin so it is very common to see them that worn. I'm leaning toward it not being a 1/2 reale due to size though, from the same time though. It could be a half dime, the diameter is the same, a half dime is slightly smaller than a 1/2 reale so it fits that description. What ever it is, it is a very cool old silver coin.
Thanks for the photos.

Coinman123,

Great hunt M.I
Looks as though that 1/2 reale was shaved i little..lol.
Look forward to more of ur posts when the ground thaws..
George

Fantastic day hunting, love those old coppers! Congratulations!

Great hunt bud! You've had a great start to the year

awesome finds!, I love large cents and Indians!!
never have seen the item in the last pic before, very cool!!

Very nice coins MI. Congrats on a really nice hunt! GL&HH!

I love the condition and patina on the IH penny. And since the silver coin has no detail then by God you can say it's anything you want. LOL

I love the condition and patina on the IH penny. And since the silver coin has no detail then by God you can say it's anything you want. LOL

Interesting approach Beez, I hadn't thought of that, maybe I just found another 1/2 Reale or a capped Bust Dime or a Half Dime? The wish list is endless..................lol

Interesting approach Beez, I hadn't thought of that, maybe I just found another 1/2 Reale or a capped Bust Dime or a Half Dime? The wish list is endless..................lol

Exactly, as long as it's close in size it can be any silver coin. NOW, might be tough to say it's a Morgan dollar or Walking Liberty half for instance.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back