What's new

Lead Button with iron wire shank

Wild Colonial Boy

Hero Member
Joined
Sep 7, 2013
Messages
612
Reaction score
880
Golden Thread
0
Location
the nearest ditch
Detector(s) used
equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found a lot of flat buttons but nothing like this, its definitely lead very intact no flaking like Pewter, with imbedded iron wire shank

can't find much information on this type on line

hoping somebody might know more

Thanks

IMG_2879.webp

IMG_2880.webp

IMG_2881.webp

IMG_2882.webp

IMG_2883.webp

IMG_2884.webp
 
Kind of looks homemade to me, might be 18th C?
 
Upvote 0
Or as we use to say in the Army, a field expedient method of repair.

Thank You, probably your right, definitely, speaks maybe of desperate times, and buttons had to be repaired rather than replaced, probably winter time also
the things you imagine up from a tiny find
great hobby
 
Upvote 0
Kind of looks homemade to me, might be 18th C?


Trying to avoid wishful thinking, I remember seeing post maybe from Iron patch , showing similar attachment on a Rev war British button , maybe repair also.
but to continue in hope , it was found a couple of hundred meters down hill from a rev war fort. But again I haven't found any rev war button in my short time detecting so , I can have innocent hopes (desperate:laughing7:)
 
Upvote 0
Trying to avoid wishful thinking, I remember seeing post maybe from Iron patch , showing similar attachment on a Rev war British button , maybe repair also.
but to continue in hope , it was found a couple of hundred meters down hill from a rev war fort. But again I haven't found any rev war button in my short time detecting so , I can have innocent hopes (desperate:laughing7:)
It's not out of the question, more a distint possibility.
British 18th C Military Buttons are typically Pewter & Iron shank, & some more lead than pewter. ie. a high lead-alloy content. So a field made version using the same construction methods fits.
 
Upvote 0
Pretty sure you have an early 19th century pewter button there.
 
Upvote 0
Great Save, Field made items are so awesome. Here is one i found

Lead Button.webp
 
Upvote 0
It's not out of the question, more a distint possibility.
British 18th C Military Buttons are typically Pewter & Iron shank, & some more lead than pewter. ie. a high lead-alloy content. So a field made version using the same construction methods fits.

Thank you , yes distant relation but a home made job is unique and interesting
 
Upvote 0
Hello Steve
Pics can definitely mislead , but I am 99% sure its lead, very pliable , unlike brittle Pewter
 
Upvote 0
Looks like a lead button or mostly lead. Now you have to go uphill and find the the marked buttons!!!
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom