What's new

Lead button?

relic lover

Bronze Member
Joined
Jul 4, 2006
Messages
2,218
Reaction score
1,310
Golden Thread
0
Location
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found at an early american site It is definatly lead, super soft. Did anyone ever find or hear of a lead button or is it something else?
 

Attachments

  • 006.webp
    006.webp
    79.7 KB · Views: 1,250
  • 006.webp
    006.webp
    79.7 KB · Views: 322
  • 007.webp
    007.webp
    97.3 KB · Views: 410
I would say its a dress weight, they used them to keep the ladies dresses down from the wind, they were sown into the hem of the dress.
 
Upvote 0
maceman66 said:
I would say its a dress weight, they used them to keep the ladies dresses down from the wind, they were sown into the hem of the dress.
I haddent thought of that I have dug a regular mass produced cast dress weight but if you make your own dress you make your own weights too I guess.
 
Upvote 0
Looks like a lead button hammered from a musket ball. I've seen a couple of these on antique hunting pouches.
 
Upvote 0
I found one like this several weeks ago at an old homesite. I figured it was one of those lead seals, but it had two holes and it was kinda' big for a seal. So, I think you solved my mystery too! Monty
 
Upvote 0
Definately a Hem or Curtain weight.
 
Upvote 0
The hem weights I have seen were cast and of even shape and thickness, this item is hammered as if hastily made . Definate? I wouldn't be so sure. I'm not definate, but I'm sticking to the button theory.
 
Upvote 0
could also be a "buzzer" child's toy where you put strings through the holes and twist untill it is tight and then it makes a buzzing sound as the string unwinds. I found some in South Carolina colonial pits along with clay marbles, some of them had cuts around the whole thing like a circular saw blade. I believe these were hammered musket balls.
 
Upvote 0
I have dug a number of them and have seen them perfectly round and also ones with the edges pretty rough, i think alot of it has to do with the quality and impurities in the lead and the type of soil they come out of, just my thoughts,lol
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom