What's new

🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Hunk of lead with thing on back?

HeatherM

Full Member
Joined
Apr 12, 2020
Messages
151
Reaction score
269
Golden Thread
0
Location
Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ve looked at this until I’m cross-eyed. I thought it was just melted lead but it has a shank or something on the back and I swear a raised design on part of it. I see little lines in a raised area. Could it be feathers?? 😝😝
Found at 1700s house where I’ve found early 1800s military buttons.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3462.webp
    IMG_3462.webp
    933.8 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_3463.webp
    IMG_3463.webp
    402.2 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_3464.webp
    IMG_3464.webp
    1 MB · Views: 80
  • IMG_3466.webp
    IMG_3466.webp
    791 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_3467.webp
    IMG_3467.webp
    452.7 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_3468.webp
    IMG_3468.webp
    812 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_3470.webp
    IMG_3470.webp
    1 MB · Views: 63
  • IMG_3471.webp
    IMG_3471.webp
    660.1 KB · Views: 62
Many years ago I was detecting in a Civil War picket site and dug this melt of .69 bullets. About 30 yards away I also dug a disc of lead which was about six inches across and about one inch deep at the center. It obviously came out of a cast iron pot. Being a fisherman who casts my own weights I reused the disc as there was nothing in it or by appearance able to distinguish any relation to age.

You can either hold on to your melt as a memory of the dig or you can melt it down in a pot and skim off what ever objects are embedded in the melt for ID.
 

Attachments

  • bulletmass.webp
    bulletmass.webp
    201.1 KB · Views: 44
  • Bulletmass1.webp
    Bulletmass1.webp
    147.5 KB · Views: 45
Upvote 0
someone spilled the ladle. what the hot lead landed on is what's imbedded on the surface.

View attachment 2258502

When we make egg sinkers we use finish nails in the mold to form the holes in each sinker. Could have been that or what’s left of a ring on a pyramid or bell sinker
 
Upvote 0
If it was once “something” it had a run in with some high temps. I’ve found camp lead similar (without the iron thing). That design vaguely resembles rodent teeth. Rats/squirrels/etc are known to chew lead.
Yes, I figured it's been chewed on but the little lines all symmetrical in one area made me think they were intentional. :dontknow:
 
Upvote 0
someone spilled the ladle. what the hot lead landed on is what's imbedded on the surface.

View attachment 2258502
Very interesting. Would not have thought of that. Why were people pouring so much lead at old houses? Making just bullets??
 
Upvote 0
Very interesting. Would not have thought of that. Why were people pouring so much lead at old houses? Making just bullets??

Bullets, sinkers, doing plumbing work…….no telling

Not saying it's what you have, but in olden times and especially in rural areas, it was common for crude lead toys to be home-cast.

By the early 1900s it had become a business, with imported moulds from German companies being promoted in postal catalogues, and then later moulds from US companies such as the Rapaport brothers.

Early moulds produced flat or semi-flat figures of things like farm animals and soldiers, but with a base so they stood up properly, and things like doll-house accessories.

These from the Home Foundry Manufacturing Company of Chicago, circa 1930s by which time moulds were becoming more three-dimensional and with a wider variety of subjects:

foundry1.webp

foundry2.webp
 
Upvote 0
Not saying it's what you have, but in olden times and especially in rural areas, it was common for crude lead toys to be home-cast.

By the early 1900s it had become a business, with imported moulds from German companies being promoted in postal catalogues, and then later moulds from US companies such as the Rapaport brothers.

Early moulds produced flat or semi-flat figures of things like farm animals and soldiers, but with a base so they stood up properly, and things like doll-house accessories.

These from the Home Foundry Manufacturing Company of Chicago, circa 1930s by which time moulds were becoming more three-dimensional and with a wider variety of subjects:

View attachment 2258627
View attachment 2258628
Interesting, thank you for sharing!
 
Upvote 0
I’ve looked at this until I’m cross-eyed. I thought it was just melted lead but it has a shank or something on the back and I swear a raised design on part of it. I see little lines in a raised area. Could it be feathers?? 😝😝
Found at 1700s house where I’ve found early 1800s military buttons.
I've found some pretty crude bridal rossettes that kinda resemble your thingy there
 
Upvote 0
The lead carbonate and sulfate that forms on the surface of lead, making a white coating, is sweet. The same compounds were used in lead pigments for paint. The sweet taste is the reason children sucked or chewed items, like cribs, painted with white lead paint. Maybe the animals like the sweet taste too.
 
Upvote 0
I've found some pretty crude bridal rossettes that kinda resemble your thingy there
That’s what I kept wondering if it might be. Seems a bit big but maybe off a saddle?
 
Upvote 0
The lead carbonate and sulfate that forms on the surface of lead, making a white coating, is sweet. The same compounds were used in lead pigments for paint. The sweet taste is the reason children sucked or chewed items, like cribs, painted with white lead paint. Maybe the animals like the sweet taste too.
I have been told that pigs chew on bullets because they have a sweet taste.
 
Upvote 0
I’ve looked at this until I’m cross-eyed. I thought it was just melted lead but it has a shank or something on the back and I swear a raised design on part of it. I see little lines in a raised area. Could it be feathers?? 😝😝
Found at 1700s house where I’ve found early 1800s military buttons.
Here's what your piece reminded me of. Thought I spotted a remnant of a fastener on yours, brass maybe?
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20260704_153610003.webp
    IMG_20260704_153610003.webp
    420.1 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20260704_153552073.webp
    IMG_20260704_153552073.webp
    517.5 KB · Views: 28
Upvote 0
Here's what your piece reminded me of. Thought I spotted a remnant of a fastener on yours, brass maybe?
Yes mine has something sticking out of the back. A bit corroded to see exactly what. I can see similarities with yours!
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom