Lead for Ohio detectorists

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool, less research time, more hunting. Thanks man.

Re-post. Just checked it out on the Ohio map.

It's inside Wayne national forest. You'd have to get special permission from the government to hunt it.

Ken

flyinpig

Jan 10, 2007
It's inside Wayne national forest. You'd have to get special permission from the government to hunt it.

I stopped into the Wayne office and asked about hunting in the forest and was told no special permit or anything is required.

Adam
Nelsonville, O

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nelsonville! Ha.

Go through there once in a while on my way to Ohio University. I have a son who is about to graduate next week, early. He's smart.

Anyway, Adam, wouldn't mind running over there and checking it out with you some time.

HH
Ken

flyinpig

Jan 10, 2007
Kas..

Would love to get some pointers...I know where there are a bunch of old houses, pre 1950s. A buddy and I went a couple weeks ago, found an old hatchet, some old cans, a watch gear and a bunch (1000s) of nails.

This area is loaded with history, Moonville is close by, Morgans raiders came through Nelsonville as well as where I grew up in a little town called Hockingport, where the Hocking meets the Ohio. John Swift also made a pass through the area when running from Indians.

Adam

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heck, let me know when you want to do this thing and I'll be there.

HH
Ken

flyinpig

Jan 10, 2007
GF & Kas,

Sounds good, weekends work for me. Wife is about to pop our 2nd so I can't plan ahead to far ;D.

Adam

minton7

Mar 28, 2007
south central ohio
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
would love to try san toy with you fellas.... I read about it on that link a few days ago... although I found it on my own and not from the post LOL If you havent already went out lets set a date... SAt is best for me currently... well or a day during the week... not working right now........ just not sunday as I am a minister.... Would love to do a group hunt someplace.... just dont really know of any in my area..... Vinton County.....

RAndy

minton7

Mar 28, 2007
south central ohio
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
sounds like a plan don LOL That's what I've been missing all this time.... Group hunts would be fun... esp on a ghost town site that is probably large and spread out.......

D

Dad_of_3

Well, looks like I may have to change my driving directions! I am going out to Dayton, OH end of April for work. I am driving from western MD. I should take me about 5 hours to get to San Toy and the another 2 hours to get to Dayton. If I have no problems finding it I should be a ble to get a few good hours of MDing in.

So, has anyone detected there? If so, what kids of finds?

Thanks,

Joe (dad_of_3)

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
justgeese said:
(just not sunday as I am a minister)

Come on Randy...plan a church picnic... Don

We'll hunt the week after the picnic ;D.

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dad_of_3 said:
Well, looks like I may have to change my driving directions! I am going out to Dayton, OH end of April for work. I am driving from western MD. I should take me about 5 hours to get to San Toy and the another 2 hours to get to Dayton. If I have no problems finding it I should be a ble to get a few good hours of MDing in.

So, has anyone detected there? If so, what kids of finds?

Thanks,

Joe (dad_of_3)

I'm in Dayton everyday. I work down here.

bz4736

Tenderfoot
Jun 24, 2007
New Paris, Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, Garrett ACE 250
Has any one had the chance to hunt at San Toy?

I'm planing on being there on the 17th of Aug. Hoping to do some MDing when I'm there if its possible.

steve from ohio

Aug 1, 2008
After reading this post, I visited San Toy.

Very hard to find. Way back in the woods in a hollow.

Saw the post for the stop light and the brick road at the intersection.

Very overgrown. Signs posted no trespassing. The land around Sand Toy is leased to a hunting club.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you get a group hunt going I would be in. Thanks...Matt

daytondigger

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2004
Dayton, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5
Me and a buddy of mine metal detected there many moons ago and found nothing of interest. There are several foundations, the old jail and the stop light post. There was scrip issued from the mines that is quite valuable. That's what I was hunting for with my detector. There's a lot of private property and I was told one can land in some hot water if caught on the wrong piece of property. I'd love to spend some more time there with permission, I would have to think there are some goodies there somewhere. If anyone goes out there be careful and good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions