Lead Roman stamp, possible coin.

vince76

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2015
Macedonia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus, Garrett GTI 2500.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi guys.
I have this lead stamp where i can read ROMA. I have years about lead coins! Can it be? Any body know enything about this?
Thank you.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1455459053.315269.jpg
Diameter 32-34 mm, Weight 32 gr.

OP
OP
vince76

vince76

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2015
Macedonia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great info. Thanks .

Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree, never heard a lead coin, have heard of some lead tokens (Roman)

Dads thoughts:

It could well be a Roman lead tessera (Namefor Lead Token) of which there are many examples on wildwinds but not one with just ROMA

Upvote 0
OP
OP
vince76

vince76

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2015
Macedonia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was checking on wildwings right now and i found only one with just Roma . It is the second one. I didn't know they used lead for tokens but i heard a guy Who said that he had found lead coins, that's why i thought so. Maybe i have found lead stuff before but i didn't pay attention to them.

Agora_34-147.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the popular beliefs about Roman coins is that many of them were made of lead. While the Romans often did cheat on the amount of silver in their "silver" coins, they did not strike coins intended for circulation as money out of lead. Contrary to popular belief, the Romans and the Greeks before them could very precisely control the amount of copper, silver, and gold in the alloys they used. They knew that lead was way too soft to be used in making a coin that had to stand up to the wear and tear of circulation. The facilities and machinery for the coining of money were expensive to set up and maintain, and if they had struck coins of lead instead of brass or copper, they would have had to do the same work three or four times over. Lead coins would wear so much in circulation that they would soon be useless. During the Fourth and Fifth Centuries A.D., the bronze alloys used for the small bronze coins often contained a large proportion of lead which sometimes reached forty percentThe Romans did, however, strike some strange coin - like objects from lead. These were called tesserae, a word with a meaning similar to "tile" or "chip". Tesserae were used for various different purposes, including tokens for admission to the games in the arena, gaming and betting counters, and as bawdy house tokens. Today, a small worn lead tessera may be much more valuable than a coin from the same era because the tesserae aren't found as often as coins and collectors find them fascinating. It is not unusual for them to bring a price at auction of 1000 to 1500 dollars.

SS

Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the popular beliefs about Roman coins is that many of them were made of lead. While the Romans often did cheat on the amount of silver in their "silver" coins, they did not strike coins intended for circulation as money out of lead. Contrary to popular belief, the Romans and the Greeks before them could very precisely control the amount of copper, silver, and gold in the alloys they used. They knew that lead was way too soft to be used in making a coin that had to stand up to the wear and tear of circulation. The facilities and machinery for the coining of money were expensive to set up and maintain, and if they had struck coins of lead instead of brass or copper, they would have had to do the same work three or four times over. Lead coins would wear so much in circulation that they would soon be useless. During the Fourth and Fifth Centuries A.D., the bronze alloys used for the small bronze coins often contained a large proportion of lead which sometimes reached forty percentThe Romans did, however, strike some strange coin - like objects from lead. These were called tesserae, a word with a meaning similar to "tile" or "chip". Tesserae were used for various different purposes, including tokens for admission to the games in the arena, gaming and betting counters, and as bawdy house tokens. Today, a small worn lead tessera may be much more valuable than a coin from the same era because the tesserae aren't found as often as coins and collectors find them fascinating. It is not unusual for them to bring a price at auction of 1000 to 1500 dollars.

SS

Yeap, like that famous brothel lead token.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
vince76

vince76

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2015
Macedonia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this one months before but i never thought it could be old. I thought some little boy playing with lead stamps.

img155.jpg img157.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
vince76

vince76

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2015
Macedonia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm amazed at what you know Cru. Thanks

Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm amazed at what you know Cru. Thanks
You will to, its just years of finding & wanting to know what I have. The internet has made it quicker, I learnt old school with books, now I use both. Although most is now of the top of my head.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread