What's new

Lead sanddollar shaped disk

john glassman

Hero Member
Joined
Apr 16, 2007
Messages
708
Reaction score
1,120
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this leaded sanddollar shaped disk its size is 1 7/16 inches across it has a bust facing right and some faint letter near the bottum. This disk has always got my interest i found in a old feild from the 1730 can anyone help me figure it out . thank you. :help:
 

Attachments

  • DSCN0706.webp
    DSCN0706.webp
    51.7 KB · Views: 315
  • DSCN0707.webp
    DSCN0707.webp
    47.9 KB · Views: 263
Re: Lead sanddollar shapedisk

Hum sure looks interesting , you might want to post some pics of both sides so the experts on here can get a good look . If it was smaller I would say the inside of a button becuase me personally I have found a eagle button that was filled with lead missing half the button . But good luck and keep on swinging !
 
Upvote 0
It may be lead that cooled in a crucible and was then knocked out of the crucible. It's possible that something made of lead with a bust or writing on it was melted in the crucible and kept some of its form. I've melted coins in a crucible - didn't have enough heat to finish the process and ended up with half melted faces and letters.

randazzo
 
Upvote 0
randazzo1 said:
It may be lead that cooled in a crucible and was then knocked out of the crucible. It's possible that something made of lead with a bust or writing on it was melted in the crucible and kept some of its form. I've melted coins in a crucible - didn't have enough heat to finish the process and ended up with half melted faces and letters.

randazzo

That's a possibility. What kind of coins were you melting randazzo and why?

Added: May be too big for bullet, but the half ball makes me think of dum dum ball
 
Upvote 0
Ironspike - I was melting bullion to cast a brulee sleeve for my mother. She lost one from her set and my brother and I figured we could cast a new one. BUT - our electric melter pot is too small. I had a big old cruicible with an asbestos liner and we tried to melt down the bullion but I couldn't get enough heat from the torch. We also tossed in a few 90% rosies (don't tell the feds). In the end we got one heavily oxidixed lump that looked a lot like glassman's.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom