What's new

Lead Seal ?

Breezie

Gold Member
Joined
Oct 3, 2009
Messages
6,278
Reaction score
2,120
Golden Thread
1
Location
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Youngins, I found this lead seal yesterday at an 1870s homestead. It is marked SAL on one side and P 7 on the other. The letters are raised. Several months ago in a different location, I found 6 lead cloth bag seals used to seal salt. They were marked SAL (recessed letters), and I was able to trace them back to Cape Verde, Sal, Africa.

The seal I found yesterday is slightly smaller, about the size of a dime, and the letters are raised. I'm wondering if this is a salt seal too or is it some type of utility seal, and the SAL is just a coincidence? The seals I found several months ago did not have anything on the back, and I've pictured (green background) both the front and back.

As always, thanks in advance. Breezie
 

Attachments

  • SalLeadSeal1.webp
    SalLeadSeal1.webp
    13 KB · Views: 247
  • SalLeadSeal2.webp
    SalLeadSeal2.webp
    18.1 KB · Views: 239
  • SALLeadSealFront.webp
    SALLeadSealFront.webp
    16.7 KB · Views: 227
  • SALLeadSealP7Back.webp
    SALLeadSealP7Back.webp
    16.7 KB · Views: 242
  • SalLeadSeal1.webp
    SalLeadSeal1.webp
    13 KB · Views: 233
  • SalLeadSeal2.webp
    SalLeadSeal2.webp
    18.1 KB · Views: 238
dont have a clue Breezie but neat nonetheless.
 
Upvote 0
Breezie said:
I'm wondering if this is a salt seal too or is it some type of utility seal, and the SAL is just a coincidence?

No idea on your item, but that sounds like too much of a coincidence to me! Might be the same type of item as you've already found, but from a different time period? I'm sure the design of the seals changed over time.
 
Upvote 0
vayank54 said:
Not sure but it looks like a seal.

Looks like a seal to me too! :laughing7:

Thanks gang for the posts and ideas. Breezie
 

Attachments

  • Seal.webp
    Seal.webp
    6.7 KB · Views: 113
Upvote 0
No no no no that kind of seal. Haven't you learned anything??? :laughing7:
 
Upvote 0
vayank54 said:
No no no no that kind of seal. Haven't you learned anything??? :laughing7:

I forgot, I might have to stay after school! :tongue3:
 
Upvote 0
Yep you have to stay after. After school lessons are held in the barn. :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom