What's new

Lead seal?

Garabaldi

Bronze Member
Joined
Jun 28, 2009
Messages
2,382
Reaction score
100
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, Whites Pulse Diver, ETRAC.
Any ideas on this artifact? Found it at a early 1800's US military training post. I think it says E II?
 

Attachments

  • 020.webp
    020.webp
    30.7 KB · Views: 310
  • 015.webp
    015.webp
    43.3 KB · Views: 304
  • 019.webp
    019.webp
    32.9 KB · Views: 287
  • 017.webp
    017.webp
    17.6 KB · Views: 276
  • 018.webp
    018.webp
    40.5 KB · Views: 289
Hey G, The font on your lead seal has an old look to it. When I saw the E II, the first thing that popped into my mind was Queen Elizabeth II. :icon_thumleft: Breezie
 
Upvote 0
Breezie said:
Hey G, The font on your lead seal has an old look to it. When I saw the E II, the first thing that popped into my mind was Queen Elizabeth II. :icon_thumleft: Breezie
I thought the same think Breezie. :icon_thumleft:
njguy said:
I think your guess is a good one. It may be military; Company E II Battalion? It looks similar to this repro wax seal necklace too:
(found at: http://www.pyrrha.com/shop/product/id/85/letter-e-wax-seal-initial-necklace)
Battalion seal would be awesome. I think its a lead bale seal. :dontknow: Not sure if we will ever know.
 
Upvote 0
G, I forgot to mention this, and we have discussed this in the past, the letters or symbols generally represent the country of origin. Breezie
 
Upvote 0
Breezie said:
G, I forgot to mention this, and we have discussed this in the past, the letters or symbols generally represent the country of origin. Breezie
So do you think it is from England?
 
Upvote 0
Garabaldi said:
Breezie said:
G, I forgot to mention this, and we have discussed this in the past, the letters or symbols generally represent the country of origin. Breezie
So do you think it is from England?

I'm not sure, but I would think so. I'd like to add, on some lead seals the letters stand for the company. Below is a lead bag seal I found a while back. It is marked SAL. It stands for Sal Island, Cape Verde Africa, which basically was a SALT mine island during the 1600-1700's. Sal is Portugese for Salt. Here's a good website:
http://ourpasthistory.com/Gallery/bagseals
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom