Lead Soldier

Steepdgaf

Jan 12, 2018
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75; Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Need help with toy Soldier... There's no markings, color and very crudely cut (molded), also a little bent. Its my first one and I've been trying to research them but haven't found anything so far that's guiding me in the right direction. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
IMG_20200503_200636.jpg

Upvote 9

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You don't have a size reference in the photo, but it looks like the ones from hobby or home casting kits. They used to sell cool kits with molds for cowboys and indians or soldiers and it included an electric melting pot. All you needed were some old wheel weights, fishing sinkers or other lead source and you could make your own cast lead toys. These were usually smaller than your factory lead soldiers, cowboys, etc and usually crudely cast since it takes trial and error to learn to heat the mold properly, know how hot to get the lead, etc before you get a good pour. The molds were cheaply made too, so there was often "flash" (thin lead that leaked from the mold seams). I had one from a dump until about ten years ago and it made small mounted horsemen. I think mine was from the 1950s, they were popular then. I am pretty sure your example is from one of those kits. Oh yeah, they were usually never painted like factory ones and naturally had no maker marks on them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Steepdgaf

Jan 12, 2018
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you very much for reply, very informative. I apologize for not having a size reference, from base to top is approximately 60mm.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Cool find, congrats! :icon_thumleft:

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You don't have a size reference in the photo, but it looks like the ones from hobby or home casting kits. They used to sell cool kits with molds for cowboys and indians or soldiers and it included an electric melting pot. All you needed were some old wheel weights, fishing sinkers or other lead source and you could make your own cast lead toys. These were usually smaller than your factory lead soldiers, cowboys, etc and usually crudely cast since it takes trial and error to learn to heat the mold properly, know how hot to get the lead, etc before you get a good pour. The molds were cheaply made too, so there was often "flash" (thin lead that leaked from the mold seams). I had one from a dump until about ten years ago and it made small mounted horsemen. I think mine was from the 1950s, they were popular then. I am pretty sure your example is from one of those kits. Oh yeah, they were usually never painted like factory ones and naturally had no maker marks on them.

Lots of good information,, imagine that,, Breathing in melted lead fumes,,

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think gunsil hit the nail on the head. I have found some soldier and cowboy and Indian molds over the years. People did make their own and sometimes they were rather crude. Congratulations, stay safe and keep swingin.

bravowhiskey

Bronze Member
May 29, 2009
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
It is a real prize Steepdgaf, with some cool background provided by gunsil.
Man that mold in the hands of some kids was dangerous in many ways. Have you ever seen what happens with a minute amount of water accidentally dropped in a pot of molten lead?

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where is Smokey on this one ? He can identify a lot of those lead toy soldiers. Maybe he will see your post, and chime in. Nice find.

OP
OP
S

Steepdgaf

Jan 12, 2018
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found my second lead toy Soldier today on a quick hunt at a different location. Big difference between the two. With info given earlier I can tell this one is manufactured. Will try soaking it when I get home to clean it up some.
IMG_20200508_135534.jpg

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome Id as a kid I used to love those I think it was called chip away or something you had to cip away at this huge piece of clay and there was a figure that would have been pre made then it came with paint lol kinda the same thing Nice relic

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found my second lead toy Soldier today on a quick hunt at a different location. Big difference between the two. With info given earlier I can tell this one is manufactured. Will try soaking it when I get home to clean it up some.
View attachment 1831816

This one appears to be a Manoil made soldier circa 1937-1941. Could be post war, Manoil went out of business circa 1959. They were very popular, I don't know one detector user who hasn't found at least one. Possibly a Barclay product but I think it was made by Manoil. Manoil also made cannons and airplanes of die-cast lead and/or zinc.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread