Lead Standing Liberty Quarter

Sony the Fox

Jun 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a standing Liberty quarter that appears to be lead. It's dated 1929 and weighs 7 grams. It's a dull gray color and makes a thunk sound when dropped on a wood table. My aunt bought it from her son who then gave it to me with several authentic standing liberty quarters and barber coins. Thanks for any help anyone can offer.
100_3324.JPG
100_3325.JPG

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Can't help you with the quarter, but I have a counterfeiting story? Back in the late 1800's there was a fellow locally that was a millwright, and probably in those days had lots of experience in casting babbitt bearings. He used that experience to cast silver dollars out of babbitt, which is mostly harder lead. He got caught and did hard time. Supposedly he cast over 500 of them, and most weren't recovered. The locals felt that he'd dumped them down a well when he found out he'd been busted. Hoping to find the stash (years ago) we checked to see if they could be legally owned. The Treasury guy said perfectly legal to own historically done counterfeit money, just illegal to try and pass it off as legal or to try and spend it as legal. According to him it can be legally sold if identified as a counterfeit when sold.

Upvote 0

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh yeah, almost forgot, welcome aboard. There should be guys on here that can help you with the quarter.

Upvote 0

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a lot of SLQ's here in a house after Katrina, many of them had the same almost gunmetal color to them, try dabbing the rim with a q tip and some tarn-x. if it shines up it's silver

Upvote 0

shawninNY

Oct 2, 2013
Detector(s) used
Xlt/Dfx/BHID , Excaliber, nowCtx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool ! FYI Bosn couldn't be more wrong! Any counterfeit US legal tender coin current or classic is illegal to Own! Can they confiscate?yes ,will they? ,probably not ! Have they ?Yes , are there exceptions ,unless engraved or embossed with with copy/ counterfeit or mounted in jewelry but even those are questionable! Nice find

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread