What's new

Lead whatzit

goldgrubber

Hero Member
Joined
Jan 26, 2007
Messages
583
Reaction score
2
Golden Thread
0
Location
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites 5900, Minelab Excalibur
I found this in my backyard while taking a mental health day from work. My house was built around 1817 or so and I've hit it pretty hard over the last 15 years, yet stuff keeps popping up. I just can't figure this one out. It's lead ( I scratched the top slightly ). At first I thought it was an old center punch 'till I picked it up and felt the weight, but the sides look like wood grain. Anybody have any ideas?

GG
 

Attachments

  • lead 1.webp
    lead 1.webp
    54.5 KB · Views: 292
  • lead 2.webp
    lead 2.webp
    58.5 KB · Views: 271
  • lead 3.webp
    lead 3.webp
    59.5 KB · Views: 275
Lead stone mason's stylus
 
Upvote 0
Lead pencils were originally a chunk o' lead.

Take a memo... :icon_sunny:
 
Upvote 0
Lucas said:
Lead pencils were originally a chunk o' lead.

Take a memo... :icon_sunny:

yeap, going back to Roman period. Most I find are late Medieval.
 
Upvote 0
I tried writing with it, nothing happened, no marks probably due to hard coating on the outside. But by the shape of it I think Crusader is right. It does look like a plumb bob. You think they may have carved out two pieces of wood to make a mold? Molten lead might have cooked the inside of the mold enough to leave graining on the piece ?
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom