Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As part of the summer program for our local historic society last year I proposed doing a talk/live dig regarding historic artifacts and metal detecting.

I cover all aspects of detecting including legal and ethics, how a metal detector works, tools, how to dig a proper plug, and items you should wear when detecting.

The museum grounds date to the 1700s and I have permission to hunt them agreeing to turn any finds over to the historic society.

I love doing this program as it is well attended by both children and their parents. I show them and let them handle actual dug artifacts going back to Colonial days and then tell them all about each type of artifact. It's very informal--outside on the museum grounds on picnic benches in the fresh air. People really show a lot of interest and many kids get inspired to get into the hobby as they see me dig up coins and relics (and sometimes junk) live during the second part of the event. Last year I gave buffalo nickles out to all the kids that I purchased with my own money at the local coin store (the dealer was supportive and gave me a discount). Today I gave all the kids a dug coin as I was finding them.

Other notable finds were a nice crotal bell, and older brass lock, and an interesting "What Is It."

In the current issue of the newsletter, I published my first article on local history through the interpretation of historic artifacts. It came out great and was written for a general audience. I will send a copy to anyone who might be interested in reading it.

All in all a great (and hot day!)...met some very interesting people, and saw a lot of smiles on kids faces!

I'll be doing a second session next month and did two sessions last year as well. The turnout is always quite good!

Attachments

• Museum Sign.jpeg
    Museum Sign.jpeg
    55.8 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
Upvote 15

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that's a nice thing your doing there, anytime you can get kids involved in the hobby is always good to me!, and plus you never know, someone attending might actually be on a nice old place and invite you out!,

good job, this is a great post!

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that's great. Do you just speak about historical items or do you talk about metal detecting and legal aspects and ethics too?

OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think that's great. Do you just speak about historical items or do you talk about metal detecting and legal aspects and ethics too?

Ahhh, I should have mentioned that. It's all about metal detecting. I have my gear there and go over how it works, we cover the legal aspects, permission, tools, how to dig proper plugs, what type of things to wear--the whole gamut.

Interestingly enough I also remarked on your story and how you returned all of that stolen jewelry and how most detectorists return items when they can. They loved that you went out of your way to return items to this woman that had had all her jewelry stolen.

Before the talk I mark about a dozen relatively good sounding targets with flags. Then after the lecture we dig them up live together--of course with me digging, but I get some help in eyeballing the dug items. :thumbsup:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats cool that you do that. I used to take summer camp kids hunting for artifacts on islands. You are teaching them things they will always remember. Nice to see people give their time for others.
HH

OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thats cool that you do that. I used to take summer camp kids hunting for artifacts on islands. You are teaching them things they will always remember. Nice to see people give their time for others.
HH

Thanks! I'm not sure who enjoys it more--me or them. I always meet some very nice folks and the kids really love the live dig part and getting to keep the common coins I dig. I believe it shows off our hobby in a very good light and so it's rewarding in many ways to do these talks/field trips.

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool program you're operating, I would have loved to attend such an event as a kid!
Glad you're giving this generation that opportunity!
:occasion14:

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man that is really cool. I agree they will never forget what you and Tnmt did for them. Keep up the GREAT work. I was at the lake the other day and this 6 yr old asked me what I was doing and I told him I was looking for Treasure and if I found any I'd call him. I went to car and got 2 matchbox cars I found at another beach and dropped them in a hole in the sand. I called him and told him to come dig. He uncovered both cars and you would have thought he found gold coins. He was grinning from ear to ear. His grandpa said he would never forget that.

OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks! I'm not sure who enjoys it more--me or them. I always meet some very nice folks and the kids really love the live dig part and getting to keep the common coins I dig. I believe it shows off our hobby in a very good light and so it's rewarding in many ways to do these talks/field trips.

Thanks UM! I would have loved it too as a kid if they had such a program and it would have inspired me to detect at a much younger age. I have already heard from parents whose kids are now asking for detectors for Xmas and starting to look for artifacts. Even my own son asked for metal detector (he got a Toys R Us model to start :laughing7:) and is showing interest in the hobby and he was only 4 when he asked for a detector :thumbsup:

I tell people had I known how many coins were in the ground as a kid I would have easily spent my summers digging coins and that was back when many of them were probably still silver!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It never hurts to do stuff like this, Dad & I do & it can often lead to land you were not even looking for.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Great job Erik!! Your efforts should qualify as an "Honorable Mention" on this forum. I'd love to see a copy of your article, and I'll PM my email address to you although you may already have it.

OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great job Erik!! Your efforts should qualify as an "Honorable Mention" on this forum. I'd love to see a copy of your article, and I'll PM my email address to you although you may already have it.

Thanks Bill for the "Honorable Mention"!

I have your email and will send you a copy of the original plus the published version. I also have a write-up on some additional research on the engraved Colonial-era coin silver spoon that appears in the article. It's interesting how the research came together on that one--after the article was submitted. I've been asked to do a follow-up on it in the next issue.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread