Learning to identify

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
These from SE Iowa timber. The finished point was exciting to find: 1st one. I also kept what look to be 4 flakes. The larger pc on the right looks to have flaked edges. Could this be a worked piece that wasn’t completed? Thanks for helping the newcomer.
10454B8D-35CD-4861-9F50-2B7A03B52536.jpeg

Upvote 7

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice stuff. I also think the one piece was probably used as a scraper.

MAMucker

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2019
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Other
Though I'm not from your area, I can say you're having good success.

There are experts in your region that will be more helpful than I.
The white pieces are made of a very high-quality snow-white quartz. The point is also a well-made side-notched type with a small tip break. A nice frame starter in my opinion.
The larger chunk may be a Pre-Form or an expedient tool such as a spoke-shave or some kind of cutting tool.

The rest seem to be debitage. It would be helpful if you can post pictures of the other sides.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Blackfoot58

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Though I'm not from your area, but I can say you're having good success.

The white pieces are made of a very high-quality snow-white quartz. The point is also a well-made side-notched type with a small tip break. A nice frame starter in my opinion.
The larger chunk may be a Pre-Form or an expedient tool such as a spoke-shave or some kind of cutting tool.

The rest seem to be debitage. It would be helpful if you can post pictures of the other sides.
I’ll try to photo the other sides. Thanks

OP
OP
Blackfoot58

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Though I'm not from your area, I can say you're having good success.

OP
OP
Blackfoot58

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
A5D4E6C1-7B7B-4E8B-B1C8-6E0FACD481C8.jpeg
Here is a pic of the back sides. I added a pc (lower left) appears to have been flaked.

antmike915

Silver Member
Apr 20, 2020
SW Georgia
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice 1st point, the rest seems to be debitage. The other could be some type of tool or something unfinished. The same goes with the last picture bottom left. I'm not the best at typing and not from your area but the point looks like a milky quartz Big Sandy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread