Leather Working Find

MadPoetLaw

Feb 3, 2011
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Let start right off by saying thanks to all of you who participate in these forums. Without your font of knowledge i wouldn't know about half the items i normally score at sales. So THANK YOU to all. :headbang:

Every now and then I like to share a find and pass along some knowledge for anyone who didn't consider some thing before. so that's what ill do today. This one comes with a backstory:

Many years ago (pre-smart phone era) I was at a sale where a very nice old gentleman was selling a HUGE lot of leather working tools. He had a lifetimes accumulation of tools in one kit the size of a suitcase. He was trying to sell it for 300.oo and he assured me it was well worth that and probably far more. I, knowing absolutely nothing about the value or demand for leather working equipment, wavered on the fence and took down some notes promising the kind guy I'd come back after a little research. I got home an hour or two later and got online only to find that yes indeed he was sincere and that tool set was most likely worth 3x what he was asking for it. I jumped in the car and drove back immediately only to find it had been sold ! so lesson learned that day !

It has been over a decade since that day but i finally found some leather working items again ! Stopped at a sale and found a very beat up, musty, cardboard box in the corner. It's obviously been in someones basement for decades. Scrawled on the side in marker i can see "leather". One peek inside and i saw a huge pile of musty magazines a tool rack holder and about 3-4 tools scattered about. I dug a little deeper in the box and saw several more tools scattered throughout. That sold me. I asked how much they wanted - they said $20.oo I offered $10.oo and they said sure with a huge smile. No doubt they were pleased to get $10.oo for a musty box of grandma's "junk" they dragged out of the basement. :laughing7:

Well, after tossing out about 1/4 of the box :
damaged magazines, paper patterns, ruined leather scraps that were simply un-salvagable here's what i saved:

30 piece leather working tool set: sold 1 day on ebay $50.00 (and the buyer paid 58.00 to ship it to Australia) ! 013.JPG

8 "Leather Craftsman" magazines 1950's - 60's sold 7 days on ebay $57.00 008.JPG

Make your own leather holsters booklet - sold 2 days on ebay $8.99 006.JPG

Lot of 25 leather wallet templates - currently listed $135.oo 018.JPG

And i still have about 4 more actions for books and misc templates to list !!!

So once again thank you to everyone for sharing the knowledge ! And in case you didn't know there is always a strong demand and value in any and all leather working items. Even a box full of musty damaged 50 year old magazines !

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Leather working was one class I always showed up at in High School. I still have the belt I made in either 74 or 75. The tools you show in your first picture were the type I used.

Baltimore

Feb 18, 2013
Maryland/Vermont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love posts like this, It's great when someone shares a good story and valuable knowledge in a post, helpful to all and increases the value of the whole forum. Great find, thanks for posting!

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
As soon as I read your post I thought "Hey! I bought an old leather tool kit a few months ago! I need to find it!" Thanks for a great story and reminder!

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
I think you may be a bit high on the wallet patterns but I could be wrong. Most of those if not all are still available from Tandy Leather new. Here is some of my work...

Attachments

• IMG_0995.JPG
    IMG_0995.JPG
    727.7 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_2420.JPG
    IMG_2420.JPG
    858.1 KB · Views: 98
  • CAM00196.jpg
    CAM00196.jpg
    456.4 KB · Views: 100
  • CAM00190.jpg
    CAM00190.jpg
    308.4 KB · Views: 94

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice work on the leather. The pattern reminded me of when I was making a watch band and experimenting with the tools and turned into flowers. Well the teacher was also my wrestling coach, he looked at the watch band with flowers looked at me and then looked at the trash can.

OP
OP
M

MadPoetLaw

Feb 3, 2011
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think you may be a bit high on the wallet patterns but I could be wrong. Most of those if not all are still available from Tandy Leather new. Here is some of my work...
Excellent work ! You are right as far as the lot of wallet templates although it is a little intentional. Buying them individually will cost at least 6-7 each and I'm a tad lower than that with free shipping. I also ran best offer with the full intention of taking slightly less. I got an offer off 100. tonight and have countered at 110. I think they will bite.

On a side note I would absolutely love to purchase a wallet from you if you make them.I even have the template ! lol (for how much longer i dont know lol) PM me on these boards for some contact info. I once had a crafted wallet years ago and that thing lasted 10x longer than any store bought wallet i've ever owned.

OP
OP
M

MadPoetLaw

Feb 3, 2011
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Final update:
I did indeed sell the wallet templates for 110.oo (free shipping) and instead of listing out the final misc items separately i opted for the quick flip and threw it on ebay as one lot of 3 books + templates 002.JPG 001.JPG 003.JPG 004.JPG 005.JPG
They sold for 50.00 (with free shipping)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread