Leaving No Trace

HunterOfSnakes

Sep 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Hello, I am planning on getting a detector eventually when the money comes, but when I do here is a question that I believe is important. If somebody is kind in a way of letting you dig up there yard searching for items, what is the best way to "cover up" the dirty spot? I know some general things, but especially in grassy areas, what are the best things to do while metal detecting to not be noticed?

Thanks in advance for any help given! This board is amazing!

OP
OP
HunterOfSnakes

HunterOfSnakes

Sep 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
I know this is probably an odd, obvious question, but I would just like to know the best way to be polite to whatever grounds I hunt:)

gmanlight

Jun 17, 2007
MA NH seacoast
Detector(s) used
what ever works
A good question , you care enough to ask.
Ground moister is key and if you can time your hunt with
a pending rain storm even better.
A nice thick lawn is easyer to blend in than a part weed part
dirt yard with the plug falling apart as you pop it.

OP
OP
HunterOfSnakes

HunterOfSnakes

Sep 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Thanks for the awesome replies, I will definitely use these tips!

Truffleshuffle

Sep 19, 2010
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I am glad I read this It should help when I finily get my detecter from the ups (monday) :) and start hunting. Defently going to do some practice in relitives yard for a while before I start

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
snake-hunter, you've got excellent advice so far from gmanlight & Soupie. Your question is similar to the nearby thread: "digging - need major help". Read my answer on that one, for my input, as it would be the same to you.

midnightcaller

Apr 13, 2005
Snohomish Area
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab
HunterOfSnakes said:
Hello, I am planning on getting a detector eventually when the money comes, but when I do here is a question that I believe is important. If somebody is kind in a way of letting you dig up there yard searching for items, what is the best way to "cover up" the dirty spot? I know some general things, but especially in grassy areas, what are the best things to do while metal detecting to not be noticed?

Thanks in advance for any help given! This board is amazing!

go slow and take your time

silverswede

Dec 12, 2005
Pinehurst. Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab SOVEREIGN XS-2a PRO
I've found that when you're trying to get permission or showing up to search the impliment your carrying to do your digging will either work in your favor or against you. A pick and spade or a small knife, which would you allow in your yard?

Packrat1947

Tenderfoot
Sep 27, 2010
Also, keep in mind that curious animals will smell fresh soil and will dig out your hole again. Raccoons, skunks, etc. are always looking for freshly buried food. I've seen this several times in my back yard.

Even when my wife plants flowers, animals dig them up by next morning. We have to resort to putting bricks around them for a week or so.

Recently, on one of the forums, someone reported that going back to a park showed that all his holes were dug up again. So much for being stealthy!

Packrat1947

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Take a small towel with you.

If you cut a plug and the target is still deeper, you need to scoop out more dirt. Put that dirt on the towel and once you have your target and its easy to pour back into the hole. Then replace your plug.

No dirty spot! :icon_thumleft:

Packrat1947

Tenderfoot
Sep 27, 2010
No matter how good we think we are, animal senses are infinitely more tuned to the environment. You already know that.

In my yard we have the very, very dense Zoysia grass. After re-plugging the hole, one cannot tell any disturbance was ever made. ‘coons will find it and dig it up anyhow.

Packrat1947

Mobes

Oct 4, 2007
Westmont IL
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV
So I know this is off the topic of what you asked, but I see your name is hunterofsnakes. Do you go out and look for snakes? Looking for snakes and reptiles is one of my hobbies too. Good luck out there!

OP
OP
HunterOfSnakes

HunterOfSnakes

Sep 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Mobes said:
So I know this is off the topic of what you asked, but I see your name is hunterofsnakes. Do you go out and look for snakes? Looking for snakes and reptiles is one of my hobbies too. Good luck out there!

Yes, actually! Now that I have my F2, I'll be able to go detecting and reptile research at the same time!

Mobes

Oct 4, 2007
Westmont IL
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV
So do you go out looking for reptiles as a hobby or is it for a class that you do this? I only do it as a hobby and to photograph them. I have helped in some research, reporting what all I found each time out at one of the state parks down in SC when I lived there. I have to agree now when I'm out in the woods I can do both search an old foundation with my detector and look for reptiles at the same time. Kinda killing two birds with one stone. All though I'm not quite sure how many snakes I'm gonna find when I'm completley tuned in to the detector. :icon_scratch: Well good luck to ya.

OP
OP
HunterOfSnakes

HunterOfSnakes

Sep 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Just a hobby, but I do show some of my finds to different organizations, especially to kids!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread