Legal Issues? Where to turn (newbie q)

W

wshthree

I used to MD years ago when I was just a kid - lots of fun back then, a few mercs, old buttons, etc...

I just recently decided to give it another try, but when I look around at the beaches, parks, etc (San Diego area) I don't recall ever seeing anyone with a detector. Is there some sort of reference to turn to that would tell me where its legal to look for lost goodies (and pulltabs of course)? I am a bit worried that I may go to a local park or beach and be breaking rules I am not even aware of!

Any help appreciated - thx.

Upvote 0

Desertdigger

Jul 15, 2004
Wickenberg , AZ
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,Tesoro Lobo ST, Gold Bug ,Minelab probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can do all the foot work and check with all the authories but I would first check for a local detecting club that will already have that info. I belong to a Gold prospecting Club in San Diego and they keep current on regulation affecting that hobby. Also check th treasure buddies wanted postings on the different forums.
Good Luck

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
California beaches are generally open game with the exception of private beaches, and most of those are posted. Local neighborhood parks are fine (as long as you don't kill the grass or leave unsightly holes!), but some City parks and all State and National Parks are off limits. Historical Sites are also off limits. If questions or doubts, you can contact the Police, Park Ranger, Life Guard, etc.

It is always a good idea to be a member of a club and abide by the metal detector Code of Ethics. Just remember: If you leave an open hole and someone trips or falls, or leave your trash behind and someone gets cut on it, or you fill in your hole in a park but the grass dies there from cut roots, it hurts all of us, and someday our hobby could be at risk of being banned. Please don't let that happen!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread