Legend Question/Falsing

drumfish420

Nov 2, 2023
I bought a Legend a couple months ago to try out and so far like it ok. I have upgraded the shafts to the carbon fiber pieces and added the LG30 coil. I hunt for Civil War relics in Virginia mostly and currently have my machine running in Field mode on M2. I have also upgraded the software to 1.11 (I think it is).

Can anybody give me a good relic program for this machine? The reason I ask is because this thing gives me a LOT of false signals if the sensitivity is any higher than 15. I have dug several good targets with it but the constant beeps get annoying. I am constantly re-ground balancing to no avail. I admit this machine has a lot of bells and whistles I don't quite understand but also do not feel like it should be falsing so much. The ground I use this with is not the red/hot dirt but mostly cultivated farm fields and woods. I really feel like I am missing deeper tones due to the sensitivity being mid-range. Thanks for any help!

Adam

sibbley

Mar 18, 2023
Nazareth, PA
Detector(s) used
Dr. Otek MT-XR, Ace Apex, Xterra Pro, Nokta Legend, Nokta Makro Impact, Manticore, XP ORX, XP Deus 2 WS6 Master
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have you done a noise cancel? It's the first menu item in the settings. Just hit the pinpoint button once you're at the noise cancel selection and the machine will find the best frequency.

Next thing, my Legend was very chatty. I read a few different places that the update procedure can cause problems with the machine. I deleted the update package from my computer, re-downloaded, and re-installed 1.11 and then reset all my profiles to factory default. I haven't had any issues with the machine being chatty since. I followed the same procedure when I updated to 1.13 after getting the acupoint. Still good.

That being said, I've read Virginia soil can be a problem. I'll let others with more experience in Virginia speak to that though.

You really don't need to change any settings besides noise cancel, ground balance, and multi frequency program. The Legend is quite awesome at finding all types of relics out of the box. I do recall MentalMetalDetecting.com had some useful programs for the legend.

OP
OP
drumfish420

drumfish420

Nov 2, 2023
I do the noise cancel at the beginning of every hunt. I may have to try the update do-over and see if that helps. This thing chirps every time the coil touches something when the sensitivity is over 15, and still does it more often than I'd like when I keep it at 15. I ground balance often, doesn't seem to make a difference. Compared to my AT Pro this thing won't stop making noise.

sibbley

Mar 18, 2023
Nazareth, PA
Detector(s) used
Dr. Otek MT-XR, Ace Apex, Xterra Pro, Nokta Legend, Nokta Makro Impact, Manticore, XP ORX, XP Deus 2 WS6 Master
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I do the noise cancel at the beginning of every hunt. I may have to try the update do-over and see if that helps. This thing chirps every time the coil touches something when the sensitivity is over 15, and still does it more often than I'd like when I keep it at 15. I ground balance often, doesn't seem to make a difference. Compared to my AT Pro this thing won't stop making noise.
Yeah, give the re-update a try. Worked for me.

jose159

Jul 15, 2021
SW Pa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I usually keep my sensitivity at 20 and haven't had any issues with it being chatty but it will chirp if I bump the coil on something but I don't think that's abnormal. Keep us posted

RobNC

Jan 5, 2019
NC
Detector(s) used
EQ800 (Stock Coil), Nokta Legend (LG30/LG24)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a legend now with about 8hrs on it. I bought it with an extra LG24 coil. That particular coil was very sensitive to any kind of movement or gentle bumping. Nokta replaced it with a new one. I'm waiting on it now to be delivered. I put the LG30 coil on and hunted with that yesterday. It did not act like that at all- very stable. I've also read about the 1.11 update and some having problems. It was boiled down by another user to be something related to out-dated USB drivers in the Nokta download that caused some sort of corrupted data or whatever during the update. Wish I could remember who it was on youtube that posted that video. I did download the USB drivers he posted and took down a copy of his routine. Some have also had success by factory defaulting the machine, re-updating, then factory defaulting afterwards. Seemed to work for them.

OP
OP
drumfish420

drumfish420

Nov 2, 2023
Updated my machine to 1.14 last night and am going to take it out for relics today. Will see how it does. The update was clean and much easier than 1.11 I might add. The new "Deep Target" option has me intrigued.

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck with your hunt. Be sure to let us know how the new update performs for you.

OP
OP
drumfish420

drumfish420

Nov 2, 2023
Well I didn't make it out, but did take the machine out in my yard for a while to see how it worked. Sensitivity over 20 still seemed very unstable. I'll play with it more today and see what I can come up with. I buried a minie ball, a pistol ball, and a wheat penny in my garden box to test. All about 6" and a foot apart. I could pick up the minie and penny, but the pistol ball just gave off a very light iron grunt.

Field, M1, RS 5, DT 3, BC 3, IF 8, Sens 18, 6 tones. LG30 coil. Maybe its just me but this machine has frustrated me to no end.

RobNC

Jan 5, 2019
NC
Detector(s) used
EQ800 (Stock Coil), Nokta Legend (LG30/LG24)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well I didn't make it out, but did take the machine out in my yard for a while to see how it worked. Sensitivity over 20 still seemed very unstable. I'll play with it more today and see what I can come up with. I buried a minie ball, a pistol ball, and a wheat penny in my garden box to test. All about 6" and a foot apart. I could pick up the minie and penny, but the pistol ball just gave off a very light iron grunt.

Field, M1, RS 5, DT 3, BC 3, IF 8, Sens 18, 6 tones. LG30 coil. Maybe its just me but this machine has frustrated me to no end.
Just a hint here. Try Field M1, IF2, ST 3, BC 0, DT 2. Run that over your test buries. Now switch to Field M2. Run over the buried targets in M2. I think you may be surprised.
In my testing, M2 will just hit harder. Iron Filter turned up too high can also reduce performance. Matter of fact with the Legend I'm learning that any extremes one way or another just don't let it shine. I'm by no means an authority on the Legend, but I am a tinkerer and have noticed it is not really one of those machines you can do extreme setting changes with. It just gets things all out of balance when you jack things up too high or crank them down too low.
21 hrs in now for me with the Legend. So still learning on this end too. And sensitivity isn't the end-all either. A Legend running clean at 18 is still better than a Legend running at 24 chirping its brains out for no reason.
Dug a signal down a full foot over the weekend at 17 sensitivity. Yes it was a coin- a crusty penny that ran up as a penny. It was in a tot lot, and really wet which is why it sounded off like it did. Still in M1 couldn't hardly grab it. M2 though woke it up.

Last edited:
OP
OP
drumfish420

drumfish420

Nov 2, 2023
Just a hint here. Try Field M1, IF2, ST 3, BC 0, DT 2. Run that over your test buries. Now switch to Field M2. Run over the buried targets in M2. I think you may be surprised.
In my testing, M2 will just hit harder. Iron Filter turned up too high can also reduce performance. Matter of fact with the Legend I'm learning that any extremes one way or another just don't let it shine. I'm by no means an authority on the Legend, but I am a tinkerer and have noticed it is not really one of those machines you can do extreme setting changes with. It just gets things all out of balance when you jack things up too high or crank them down too low.
21 hrs in now for me with the Legend. So still learning on this end too. And sensitivity isn't the end-all either. A Legend running clean at 18 is still better than a Legend running at 24 chirping its brains out for no reason.
Dug a signal down a full foot over the weekend at 17 sensitivity. Yes it was a coin- a crusty penny that ran up as a penny. It was in a tot lot, and really wet which is why it sounded off like it did. Still in M1 couldn't hardly grab it. M2 though woke it up.
Thanks I will try those settings this weekend!

OP
OP
drumfish420

drumfish420

Nov 2, 2023
Took it out yesterday and it did much better. Still chirpy with the sensitivity over 15 but dug some deeper targets that my AT Pro didn't hear at all.
Field, M2, IF 3, DT 6, RS 4-5, 6 tones. Will hit it again tomorrow and see what happens.

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Took it out yesterday and it did much better. Still chirpy with the sensitivity over 15 but dug some deeper targets that my AT Pro didn't hear at all.
Field, M2, IF 3, DT 6, RS 4-5, 6 tones. Will hit it again tomorrow and see what happens.
Watch this video, it will walk you through the process to update the Silicon Labs CP210x drivers because the ones that come with the update installer are out of date by 5-6 years

OP
OP
drumfish420

drumfish420

Nov 2, 2023
Just went through that process and my computer says the best drivers are already installed. Going out this morning to hunt so will see how it does.

OP
OP
drumfish420

drumfish420

Nov 2, 2023
Something else I noticed is that if the sensitivity is much over 15 it will chirp if I shake the unit or swing it too fast. Everything is tight as far as I can tell but I can definitely make it chirp on command if I want to. I'm not sure if that's normal or not. I still feel like I received a lemon for some reason.

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just went through that process and my computer says the best drivers are already installed. Going out this morning to hunt so will see how it does.
That is the same thing mine kept saying (the best driver are already installed) but yet they were those outdated drivers.

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Something else I noticed is that if the sensitivity is much over 15 it will chirp if I shake the unit or swing it too fast. Everything is tight as far as I can tell but I can definitely make it chirp on command if I want to. I'm not sure if that's normal or not. I still feel like I received a lemon for some reason.
if you are getting severe Bump issues that is not Normal, Mine has no bump issues even if I set my Legend to Max sensitivity

You may have received a bad coil from the factory

Which coil is it that has the bump issue or is it all the coils you have ???

OP
OP
drumfish420

drumfish420

Nov 2, 2023
Both the LG28 and LG30 have bump issues. I noise cancel before I start every time, have tried a bunch of different settings, and the only way to keep it completely quiet to turn the sensitivity down to 10 or less. 15 is still chirpy but manageable, anything over that its too noisy. I really want to like this machine as it definitely gets deeper than my AT Pro, but that Pro makes zero noise compared to this thing.

Casull

Jan 17, 2007
Central Virginia
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend
Both the LG28 and LG30 have bump issues. I noise cancel before I start every time, have tried a bunch of different settings, and the only way to keep it completely quiet to turn the sensitivity down to 10 or less. 15 is still chirpy but manageable, anything over that its too noisy. I really want to like this machine as it definitely gets deeper than my AT Pro, but that Pro makes zero noise compared to this thing.

That is NOT normal. I'd contact Nokta.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions